BikeBandit Files Bankruptcy

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

BikeBandit Files Bankruptcy

Post by ghostler »

I was looking at some old links of mine. I was browsing a Geocities backup archive of my old motorcycle blog:

http://www.oocities.org/highplainsthumper/ This was about my old 1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage that I once owned, a really nice minimal totally aircooled single lung bike (single cylinder 650) that I used touring all over New Mexico and parts of Texas, Arizona, and Colorado. (I'd show up at a motorcycle rally, people would ask me, "How-in-ell did you get here from there with such a small bike?" I'd tell them that back in the 1970's, a 650 was a big bike.) :gig:

Then I clicked on the BikeBandit.com link. It no longer exists. This surprised me, as back 18 years ago, I was purchasing parts from them for my bike. I search a little further and found this article:

https://jalopnik.com/motorcycle-parts-s ... 1848823954

Apparently Fall 2021, they failed to fulfill customer orders, then filed bankruptcy February 2022, but did not shut down their on-line ordering site right away. A number of people paid for merchandise that was never shipped. :bat:

They used to be one of the heavy hitters motorcycle parts wise. However, I ran into problems with them when I shipped my 650 to Okinawa 2005. They would not ship parts to my USPS Okinawa P.O. Box for some odd reason, although I was a faithful customer of theirs for several years. After, I then went to Ron Ayers and a few others, :clap: who did honor my overseas US mailbox. (AFAIK, shipping costs were same as to California.) Since, I have not used BikeBandit at all.

Nowadays, I guess I can now say that they turned woke. :corn:

I hope that none of you have been buying parts from them and got stiffed by them.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1997 Voyager 1200
2016 Honda Goldwing
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: BikeBandit Files Bankruptcy

Post by usmalenurse »

I had used Bike Bandit several times for tire purchases and always came through without a hitch. So glad I opted for other sources when I bought several items for the 'Wing this spring..... You just never know these days..
These users liked usmalenurse's post:
ghostler (Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:54 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 813 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

I,too, was surprised to find it went bankrupt. :hmm:
I had used Bike Bandit for probably 20 years, :thmup: ,
and a couple weeks ago,I had a customer bring me a 1997 Yamaha 350 Big Bear for repair.
I started to look for parts in Bike Bandit to find they went bankrupt. :cry2:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by ghostler »

Another site that disappeared earlier than BikeBandit was BikerCom.com, out of the Netherlands. They disappeared may be 8 years ago, but did not stiff anyone AFAIK. I bought a really nice custom rear package rack for my LS-650 Savage that allowed me to mount a mini-trunk behind the pillion rest. There were a few other items I bought from them.

This was when ordering across the pond wasn't that expensive shipping wise (as it is now), and they didn't charge VAT to overseas customers in US. LS-650 Savage accessories were hard to come by, don't know why, because they made the bike from 1986 to 2020 (24 years, although missing from US market around 1989-1992).

As I'm getting older, the 2001 XII is slowly becoming a little heavier than I'd like to wrestle with. Was looking at newer mid-sized bikes several hundred pounds lighter. Don't know why they keep putting puny gas tanks on mid-sized bikes of less than 4 gallons, some with less than 3 gallons. It doesn't cost that much more to put a decent tank. Seems they are all in cahoots with each other.

I don't want to go to a heavy hog so I can have a fat bob tank. Defeats the purpose of wanting something lighter weight to tool around in.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Sad to hear BikeBandit is gone... I ordered a number of parts from them until a few years ago. I used to shop for aftermarket bits and bobs from JC Whitney, until they pretty much eliminated their bike stuff. I got some great aftermarket trunks from them, around 2010, or so. Trunks are still made, I believe, but harder to find a seller for them, outside of e-Bay. I really liked ordering from JCW. Visited their (very poor) storefront, on a road trip through the area, once. Discovered they were not really into retail sales (likely less than 1% of their sales, seriously).

As a young teen, in the late 70's, I thought that was a golden age for bikes (I still believe it was, to be honest; back then, the All Purpose Japanese Bike was King, Baby, and you could mod your bike how you liked). Now, I believe the early 2010's were a mini-golden age for bikes. A lot of the generic, aftermarket stuff has disappeared. Too bad, really sad, for me. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII

Return to “General Chat”