2003 Voyager XII with Voyager Trike Kit

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Houstonbudman
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII with Voyager Trike Kit
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

2003 Voyager XII with Voyager Trike Kit

Post by Houstonbudman »

I bought my Voyager XII last week with a Voyager Trike Kit. It is a 2003 with 10,900 miles and is really in great condition. I have put about 100 miles on the trike and am disappointed with the ride. The ride is very rough. Is this to be expected from a Trike. Does any one else have this set up and what is your experience. What can I do to improve the ride. I have not adjusted the air suspension and hopefully that will help some. I am going to remove the trike kit this week and see how it rides as just the standard cycle.

I have just purchased the trunk extender and will need to make the seat modification I read about at this forum to give driver and passenger more room. When I use the lever under the trunk I have not been able to slide it back at all. I expect to use some WD40 on it once I convince myself I will not hurt the paint.

Would appreciate your experience and recommendation on improving the ride.
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 224 times

Re: 2003 Voyager XII with Voyager Trike Kit

Post by SgtSlag »

If the rear shocks are OEM, then change the oil in them, as per the Factory Service Manual, assuming they do not leak oil. Change the front fork oil, as well, assuming its seals do not leak. If you use Dexron V/VI ATF fluid, you can save a few dollars: a quart sells for $5-$7, and it clocks in at around 7W. If you go with Fork Oil, you have to pick a Weight (7-15?), and you will pay around $15/quart. I went with Dexron V, no problems, inexpensive, works well for us -- tried 10W Fork Oil, didn't like the performance, or the cost.

Many of us have gone air-less: replace the front fork springs with Progressive brand, as well as replacing the rear shocks with sealed units from Progressive, with dual-rate springs. Neither of these conversions uses air in the over-hauled suspension systems. Be sure to get the HD springs in the rear, not the standard springs; I ordered the standard, riding two-up 98% of the time, and we blew out one shock, within two years... Ordered replacement shocks, with the HD springs, and no problems in over two years of riding.

With regards to your other questions, I cannot answer them -- no experience. Best of luck! Cheers!
:thmup:
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
voyager55
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 2003 Voyager XII with Voyager Trike Kit

Post by voyager55 »

Trike kits require a lot of tuning to get a good ride. Tire pressure, spring settings, alignment etc on the trike kit. You just have to keep adjusting it until you find settings you like.

They don't ride or handle like a regular trike kit. It's sort of like steering--riding a older ATV.

As mentioned, get Progressive fork springs & HD Spring shocks for your bike. You'll like the improvement in ride & handling

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”