Oil leak on left side

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Steve do
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2013 Gold Wing
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Oil leak on left side

Post by Steve do »

I had a little oil leak show up on the left side right behind the foot peg. I pulled the covers, it is a real small leak, just enough to see oil on the frame rail and exhaust cover haven't seen a drip on the concrete floor. I've put 1500 miles on the bike since getting it, the man had a full 30,000 mile service done to it. It showed up after 150 mile hard run between 75 to 85. I called Neal, he thinks the service guy might have overfilled the rear end causing oil to come out. I did find the boot covering the drive shaft loose, I took about 4 full turns on that clamp, didn't tighten it enough to squeeze the rubber out. Will ride today, see what happens. It's only a drop, but nobody wants oil on there bike. Any thoughts??

Thanks again to Neal, he has set me up with the intercom system, we have had some good conservations.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Oil leak on left side

Post by ekap1200 »

hello Steve, Well if a voyager is going to leak , its going to be right where you see it. First thing to determine is weather it is engine oil or gear oil. Being a late model your rear drive will not be vented with a small hole drilled into the pinion housing. So if it is overfilled it will surely leak. If it is leaking gear oil badly onto the frame its been overfilled a few times and the gear oil is just working its way up the drive line. with the bike level on the center stand you want the gear oil to be just about 1/4 inch below the threads, Now that should keep you safe but when you service the bike , you may want to think about installing a vent hole back in the original location that Ma-Kaw used too. You don't want to drill a large hole. I consider a 1/16 drill too large and I used a .030 drill to open mine, Keep in mind your not going to be drilling into the open cavity of the ring and pinion, There is a ported area cast into the housing to just vent the volume of air being warmed up in the final drive. Don't know your abilities of working on your own bike yet, but it is an easy job. Another fix until you can vent it is ( other than keeping the gear oil 1/4 below ) is to snake a long black plastic tie around the rear end of the boot and snug it up on the swing arm. NOTICE there is only one clamp, it will still let the gear oil escape even when the clamp in front is secure. Well if you find its not gear oil but engine oil let us know. Then will tell you the water pump seal deal. Gene
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Steve do
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Steve do »

Thanks Ecap, I rode about 250 miles today at interstate speeds 70 to 80, the leak showed back up. A little tired now, tomorrow will pull the covers back off, clean it with brake clean, ride it for 50 miles or so, see what I can see then, will stop every so often to see where it is coming from before the wind blows it everywhere. It's so small that it doesn't drip on the garage floor. You can wipe your finger on the bottom of the frame, it seems thin like motor oil. I need to see where it is coming from, then go from there. I'm assuming there is a seal where the drive shaft goes into the trans. If that doesn't work I will pull the motor and put in a 454 big block chevy. Thanks!!!!!
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Hi Steve , if your sure its engine oil , there is a seal kit that Carl Leo makes up to remedy the issue , the water pump would need come out. it is not that bad of a job to do. Many that have done it here on the forum can walk you through it. Personally I wouldn't use brake cleaner on the area as it can dry out synthetic rubber items and wire insulation.

If you look at the small hole shown on the water pump that is where that little drip every now and then comes from. As you see the small amount has to travel past the slightly worn seal , then go through the bearing , into the dead area space and out that little weep hole. Hope this photo helps show you where to look Gene Kap.

"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Steve do
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Steve do »

Ekap, thanks so much for the pictures, water pump weep hole, just like a truck, I will clean it and look for oil. From what I remember everything in front of the drive shaft boot was a sorta dark dry powder, and very little of that, the only thing that was wet was around the boot. I read somewhere where there is a seal at the clutch rod. I need to catch it just as it starts to leak. THE GOOD THING IS I CAN RIDE IT WITH THE COVERS OFF, stop randomly and check. Will let everyone know what I find out.
Leeward
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki voyager

Post by Leeward »

Where can I get the water pump kit I need everything but shaft and housing thanks
Barry
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 87 Voyager 12
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Barry »

Carl Leo sells the kit. You can email him at voyagerparts@bellsouth.net. Leave a phone number so he can call you back. He's in Florida and is the most knowledgeable person in the vxii world. As a bonus he's one of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Barry
87 Voyager XII
Leeward

Post by Leeward »

Thank you so very much I will give it a try
Leeward

Post by Leeward »

Oil leak left side, sent E mail to Carl Leo about seals and bearings for 49044-1082 water pump no word yet haven’t been able to find them any where
Barry
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 87 Voyager 12
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Barry »

Have patience. He's retired and he's slowly downsizing his business hobby. He tries to ride 150 miles almost daily, so sometimes he can be difficult to reach.
Barry
87 Voyager XII
DennyG+
Current bike(s): 1993 VoyagerXII

Post by DennyG+ »

Mine leaked gear oil in that place, and it needed a new pinion seal in the final drive.
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 809 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

DennyG+ wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:48 pm Mine leaked gear oil in that place, and it needed a new pinion seal in the final drive.
I also found my final drive did not have the vent hole drilled from the factory,which added to the drive shaft seal leakage. :hmm:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”