ANTIFREEZE LEAK?

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ohiojack
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2011 Kawasaski 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

ANTIFREEZE LEAK?

Post by ohiojack »

I own a 2003 voyager and from time to time when running and stop and go driving, I smell antifreeze burning. The bike has 87,000 miles and I've looked at hoses/connections and I can't find anything. Any suggestions? The antifreeze level seems like it's holding steady. :hmm:
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Re: ANTIFREEZE LEAK?

Post by gearheadfla »

I've had that too!!!! you should put this in the Gen XII section, more people would see it there. I don't know where my smell comes from but I have just changed all hoses on my 88, what a pain, didn't see any signs of a leak and coolant was full before I drained it.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

gearheadfla wrote:...you should put this in the Gen XII section, more people would see it there...
He can't put it there, he's not a member. :-(
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
ohiojack
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2011 Kawasaski 1700
Been liked: 0

Post by ohiojack »

I was told to check the crossover tube in the front of the motor/base of the cylinders. Mine was leaking antifreeze from the o-rings. I'm replacing the two lower hoses and o-rings. Costing me around sixty dollars in parts. You have to pull the radiator to get to the crossover tube.
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel

Post by gearheadfla »

Oh yeah, you gotta pull the radiator, I just changed every hose on my bike last weekend, that was fun. :tho:
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Sunshine State Voyagers
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing

Post by doug of so fla »

When the antifreeze leaks out it usually finds a hot engine or exhaust pipe to turn it into the vapor you smell which makes no trace of the leak. The most common antifreeze leak is at the cooling manifold and if you check the flat part of the engine under it, either just before you start it or within 1 minute of running you may be able to see it there. You will need a flashlite and look in both sides of the engine, or fold a paper towel about 1 inch wide and leave it under the manifold over night and you may see fluid. When it warms up it may expand and close the leak. I have moved the manifold slightly and stopped the leak but I think that was a rare one. Also if it is coming out of the waterpump weep hole you need a new waterpump.
doug of no fla
joelcolletti
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1994 Voyager XII (purchased new from California Kawasaki's showroom floor)
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by joelcolletti »

I think I may need a new radiator core, but they are pricey. Any suggestions, or will I have to bite the bullet?
1994 Voyager XII- NorCal Voyagers, Montara, CA
Miles of Smiles :0)
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel

Post by gearheadfla »

Call Carl Leo 1st, his contact info is on top of forums. Then E-Bay is loaded with them used.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Sunshine State Voyagers
joelcolletti
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1994 Voyager XII (purchased new from California Kawasaki's showroom floor)

Post by joelcolletti »

gearheadfla wrote:Call Carl Leo 1st, his contact info is on top of forums. Then E-Bay is loaded with them used.
Thank you. He's on my speed dial, and even have Ebay's Voyager page bookmarked. Great suggestions - TY for the quick response :0)

I saw your post about the manifold, and am wondering where that is located? Are you talking about the area between where pipes and cylinder heads meet? I guess I should look in the Repair Manual, as I'm probably going to have my nose buried in it if It turns out that I need to replace the radiator.

Thank you.
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing

Post by doug of so fla »

Yes, the coolant manifold is between the front of the engine and the exhaust pipes, you can see it by looking in thru the lower fairing side air vents on either side just past the horn it is a round alum looking tube goes from one side of engine to other.
doug of no fla
joelcolletti
Traveler
Traveler

Post by joelcolletti »

Good news: I changed a C clamp on the coolant return hose that wasn't taking to tightening. Could have happened as far back as my last coolant change 3 years ago. I used a very heavy hand mechanic is Burlingame. Same person also over filled my oil change and didn't drain the front plug either. Then he told me not to come back again.

Anyway, looks like I may be getting off cheap with a $4 1/2 inch clamp from Ace.

Drove it for a half hour today, and the temp was fine - at first heavy bar, fan didn't come on, no leaks detected, and core was bone dry. I'm hoping I isolated it to just this problem and that it will be dry again tomorrow. I'll drive it again, and if she stays dry, I'll button 'er back up. Garage floor is still dry. :0)

Carl has a good used core in the event I need one, but I'd probably want a new one.

In any event, I hope I dodged a bullet as Carl said that it's uncommon to have a radiator issue with my low miles.....

If the coolant leak stays resolved, looks like I should be able to make our NorCal Club Meeting as planned.

Still looking forward to replacing those O rings and hoses this winter. But I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Thanks for posting back,
Joel
joelcolletti
Traveler
Traveler

Post by joelcolletti »

I guess I got over excited yesterday. This morning the core and floor appeared to be dry. Then I removed to radiator cap, and coincidently / or not, one of the radiator cell wall (looks like the one to the left of the droplet) started trickling clean coolant from the same area I noticed yesterday. This is a photo I took just took.

I think I'll skip the test ride today. There appears to be some damage to the lower left corner of the radiator fins, and I found some road gravel bits dropping off from that area yesterday too. Could be just another coincidence, but there was a lot of new road getting laid north of Carmel Junction Ut; and I do live on the Coast which doesn't help.

Interested in fixing this so I can make our Aug 4th meeting and group photo. Rather miss it, though, than fry the motor.

Any comments welcomed and appreciated.

Joel
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel

Post by gearheadfla »

Yep, She's a leakin, is there a good automotive radiator shop in your area? If so it won't hurt to see if they can repair it, if not and it was me, I would have no problem with any used one Carl had at all.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Sunshine State Voyagers
joelcolletti
Traveler
Traveler

Post by joelcolletti »

Hi Jim,

Okay - Thank you for the useful and timely information. I appreciate the vote of confidence on going with a used core too. I may try contacting our local radiator repair shop as you suggested. IMO, All sage advise and very much appreciated.

Joel
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Hi Joel, No wonder we could not see it when we were in Kanab, But once you have the radiator off, now would be a good time to replace the o-rings in the coolent manifold to the engine. Maybe this machine didn't have the coolent replaced at regular intervals, so look closely at the manifold for pitting in the material. Glad you made it home OK.
Good thing you didn't have as far to travel home as I did. I would have had a serious problem getting the bike and trailer home with that leak. I sure was a hot ride home. Gene
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
joelcolletti
Traveler
Traveler

Post by joelcolletti »

Hi Gene.

I'm waiting to hear from a technician (probably Monday) at the local radiator repair shop, and for Don to have a chance to assess the radiator too. before scrapping the core. Don and I thought we'd have till the winter to replace the O rings and hoses I purchased from Carl, last month before heading off to Kanab, but neither of us anticipated the radiator problem coming on.

In any event, I'm trying to be patient, and thank the Heavens it didn't ruin the Rally or engine. I'll pay extra attention to inspect the manifold pitting you spoke of too. I can say that as the original owner having owned it new in 94, I had this bike serviced professionally and according to the manual. But, rarely did I got good results from the work I'd paid for, with the exception of the shop that sold me the bike from their showroom floor (California Kawasaki). It was right next to Don Medina's 94 Concourse that Don bought before I bought my 94 Voyager. The technician there repaired all the San Francisco K1000 motorcycle police bikes for years, till the dealership went under. To make a long story shorter, I 'm glad I'm servicing my own vehicle with Don's tutelage, as it has been running like new till this point.

What a small World. I'm so glad that I've started using the club boards to help step up my passion and understanding for this kind of machine. I miss the 70's motorcycles that didn't have all this plastic, electronics and etceteras, as it made for much simpler repairs and easier access to component parts. Oh well, I do love this XII a lot, and will continue to keep her in the best of repairs. I'm just really glad to be home, and have the chance to correct the problem.

Thank you for posting back and giving me some feedback on the matter. I really appreciate it, and I'm really glad I had the chance to meet, dine and ride you an Marie too. You're a lot of fun to hang out with, and are full of good ideas.

Sincerely,
Joel
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

ohiojack wrote:I own a 2003 voyager and from time to time when running and stop and go driving, I smell antifreeze burning. The bike has 87,000 miles and I've looked at hoses/connections and I can't find anything. Any suggestions? The antifreeze level seems like it's holding steady. :hmm:
Hello ohiojack, have you looked around the waterpump, and the coolent manifold at the front of the cyl's ?.. Also what I have seen on some bikes, that people have removed the fuel tank for fuel flt replacement, is that sometimes the overflow hose gets pinched by the fuel tank if one is not careful getting it back together. Also its not uncommon for the orings to weep alittle until the engines warmed up, on a few machines. Hope its not like Joel's bike and you have a core thats rotted away. Gene Kap.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
joelcolletti
Traveler
Traveler

Post by joelcolletti »

I guess I never did conclude this story. Bike's up this year after lots of patience. It ran cool in Nevada at the Rally. I'll try to restore the photos to this post. The links were broken when I accidentally deleted them from Photo bucket. Thanks for Gene and those that read my request and helped. Much appreciated By way, Bill had some radiator concerns, but Don had him loosen his water cap, and Bill drove back from NV running just above the second heavy line. I'll try posting a couple of photos I found that a club member took at the rally. Bill said he tightened the cap when he got back home and that took care of it.

:thewave:

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”