motersikle electrics - aaaggghh!

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '94 Voyager as of 02/10
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

motersikle electrics - aaaggghh!

Post by richardb, austin »

Help please. On my '94 V12 w 87k+ miles, I've lost my forward accessory power supply. l'lI have to remove the top trunk to check & see if the rear accessory is bad too. The fuse is good, the ground is good but the output at the double female bullet connector, behind the headlight is zero volts. Also my music radio won't come on. The 3 amp radio fuse is good & the clock is working. Both fuses behind the headlight are good. All was well when I was outbound on a 5 mile trip but when I got on the bike to come home, all was dead. Lights are all ok - except the aux roadlights whose trigger voltage comes from this accessory connector. Anybody got an idea? Is this wiring run thru the wire bundle on the handle bars & subject to the dreaded Voyager handlebar wire breakage?
richardb, austin
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Re: motersikle electrics - aaaggghh!

Post by gearheadfla »

Check the wires where they go into the white fuse holders for the radio, they have been known to break inside the holder and still look fine when you look at them. Give them a wiggle or two and see if radio comes on. Happened to me. If they are bad, go to the local auto parts and get new holders and splice them in.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler

Thanks, that's not it. Also, rear accessory connector is dead & the circuit is confirmed hot up to the fuse box - going to the schematics now. :bat:
richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler

After swapping relays (4 different relays) and no joy, I'm wondering. Does anyone know exactly where on the bike that the front and rear accessory power supply leads separate? I'm pretty sure I've got a broken hot wire downstream from the relay that has killed both acc leads.
Can I (without harm) just jumper a new wire from the out leg of the relay to the front acc lead connector and furnish a new power path for at least the front acc lead? And if this just happened to power up the rear acc lead and/or the music radio too, that'd mean the break is upstream of where the front & rear &/or radio separate- right???
richardb, austin
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

Check the big white plug that connects the fuse block to the wiring harness (its the biggest plug on the bike) they tend to loose contact or corrode.
also when you have it apart you want to clean it and put some dielectric grease on it
Another thing that can happen is the wires from the ignition can brake if the wire tie is in the front left side of the frame cut it off
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
to. (kew427@comcast.net)
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

Richard, you titled this post well !I recall working on a customer bike decades ago with a similar problem, after working with a meter for days off and on with this electrical problem ,,, even though the fuses all looked good and tested good with the ohm meter, I went through and replaced the fuses with new, and all the problems were gone .. .not sayin this is ur problem ,but it's worth a shot. oh yeah ,, the customer did'nt want to pay the bill on all the labor!
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler

Ultimately, I jumpered from fuse box to Acc relay and installed new forward Acc leads right off the Acc relay. Diagnosis showed I had a W/Y wire-break between fusebox & relay, a bad relay, and another W/Y wire broken downstream of the relay - beyond the music radio, which worked after 1st jumper & new relay. It may still be something magically simple because I can't believe that all 3 items would crash at once. But, I've got Acc power again. :bat:
richardb, austin
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

Richard, as you stated " I can't believe 3 things crashed at the same time ".... but after decades in the biz... a person can never say " now i've seen it all " because the next one is right around the bend !! grin and bare it !! they say " this is what keeps life interesting " .... as the years go by... I don't like "interesting" so much !!! L.O.L. :gig: tony
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”