stupi question about fuel tank.

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

dcmrn1959
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

stupi question about fuel tank.

Post by dcmrn1959 »

Everywhere I read it says the XII has a 6 gallon tank. When I ride to E on the gas guage. tank fill up takes 4 gallons. Both of my voyagers do this. Does this mean a 2 gallon reserve? Thanks Dan
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Re: stupi question about fuel tank.

Post by doug of so fla »

It has a 6.1 gal. tank and the gauge is kinda a thing just to go by. The red light should come on when you have right around 1 gal. left. Best way to go is if you have correct odometer reading and know your miles per gal, go by that and be sure you reset odometer each time you fill up. Check your mpg several times so you know when you want to stop. Most XII's can easily get 40mpg x 6.1gal tank = 240+ miles to a tank, but do not stretch it that far! usually close to 200 then fill up will keep you from running out which, with a gauge & odometer and red reserve lite, you should never run out. If you know that the front speedometer gear has been changed you will have to multiply you mileage by1.10 to get correct mpg . The speedometer from factory is about 10% off so some owners have changed the speedo gear to read the mph more accurate but that throws the odometer off by 10%. You can check on a interstate with mile markers and see where yours is. Make sure your red lite is working it should come on when you turn key on, and some lites come one only when it has a 1/2 gal left. If lite is working ride until it comes on and find some gas and see how much it takes.. IF YOU RUN OUT OF GAS ON A XII DON"T TELL ANYONE!!!!! :bat:
doug of no fla
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

Word of warning, the red lite may never come on. It seems to be a common issue where the sensor doesn't work, and you only find out the hard way. I took a trip last April and the red lite only comes on when I turn the key on (test circuit), but I filled it up twice and put in 5.9 gallons. Too close for comfort so I started carrying a 1 gallon gas can (filled it only to 3/4 because i didn't want the pressure changes to make it leak as I was going over mountains in the west). I bungied the can to the bumper of a trailer I was towing, so it wasn't inconvenient at the time. Also, pulling the trailer affected my mileage from a low of 25 (with wheelbarrow upside down on it) to 35ish during most of the ride (freeway and mountains). Normally I get around 45mpg. My gauge is just a reminder suggestion to watch the mileage. I filled up the other day (mostly city) and even though it was solid on the E, it only took 4.5 gallons. I was using Mid or Premium gas, but have started using Regular. I think the only difference I noted was it smooths out faster at idle on a cold morning with the better gas, otherwise not any difference for the 10 to 20 cents more a gallon. I do still use Mid (or Premium if Mid not available, like at Costco) when I fill both my wife's (97 Vulcan 800) and my bike at the same stop as it does matter to her bike and it is just more convenient.

If anyone knows where I can get a "new" gas gauge sensor unit, please let me know. A number of sites list it, but when you try to order, they back order it. I have also seen two different replacement part numbers for the original number 52005-1076
Cyclepartsnation notified me that the Mfr has back-ordered it. No notice of how long (part number now 52005-5019) I have to wait. I have seen "back-orders" online go more than six months before I finally cancelled it (music item). I just sent an inquiry, so I will update this when I learn something.
As a whole this bike is great. You just have to deal with little things as these bikes get older, but no plans on my part to change (unless I get lured into the new V-twin Vulcan version) as long as I can keep it reliably running.
Enjoy the ride,
Ken

PS. The MusicMan sent this reminder and I thought I would pass it on to anyone in the area: "Just thought I would send a reminder about the Voyager people getting together for lunch this Saturday, Jan 12th. We're meeting at the Little Sombrero restaurant in Casa Grande about noon. The address is: 419 E Florence Blvd, Casa Grande, AZ."
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

I have went 225 miles wanting the light to come on but chickened out and refilled, had less than a gallon left and no light, it does come on with key, but it still hasn't came on because of low gas, I get 50mpg here in Florida but I don't want to push it and run out so I refill up at 200 miles, need to stop and take a break after 3 or 4 hours riding time anyway.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII

Post by debron »

My gas gauge drops below the E, pegs on the bottom pin, then my reserve light comes on. I have just slightly more than a gallon left when the light comes on.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
glich54
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650
1979 Triumph Bonneville 750
1951 Cushman Eagle

Post by glich54 »

doug of so fla wrote:The speedometer from factory is about 10% off so some owners have changed the speedo gear to read the mph more accurate but that throws the odometer off by 10%. :
Just so I am clear on this does the factory speedo read 10% too fast, or too slow???
Gary L.
Woodinville, WA
01 Voyager XII
79 Triumph Bonneville
51 Cushman Eagle

"The fewer the facts the stronger the opinion"
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel

Post by gearheadfla »

Mine reads about 6mph to fast going by my G.P.S.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Sunshine State Voyagers
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII

Post by debron »

glich54 wrote:
doug of so fla wrote:The speedometer from factory is about 10% off so some owners have changed the speedo gear to read the mph more accurate but that throws the odometer off by 10%. :
Just so I am clear on this does the factory speedo read 10% too fast, or too slow???
Too fast. When my speedo reads 70 I'm going only 63 true (according to my GPS.) AT 80 indicated, I'm going 72. My Honda was the same.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 840 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by cushman eagle »

The speedo on my '99 is 2% fast at 60 with my new E-3's and my low fuel light comes on with 1.25 gallons remaining :wnk2:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by suzib6sw »

Im trying to get a hold of a fuel fload and sender assy for the voyager.. Going to try and rebuild with new components or repair.. Carl doesnt have one at the moment so if anyone has an old one they want to donate for me to play with, drop me a PM or email..

Cheers..

Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
Charles L.
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 97 Voyager

Post by Charles L. »

Gas mileage has dropped.. Used to get 225, now 200, mighty close to "out". But, hesitate to do anything because my 97 is running great. The old "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Shouldn't even say it's running great. That's a sure way to make something bad happen. Am i superstitious ? Nah !
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

kjsett wrote:
If anyone knows where I can get a "new" gas gauge sensor unit, please let me know. A number of sites list it, but when you try to order, they back order it. I have also seen two different replacement part numbers for the original number 52005-1076
Cyclepartsnation notified me that the Mfr has back-ordered it. No notice of how long (original part number 52005-1076, now 52005-5019) I have to wait. I have seen "back-orders" online go more than six months before I finally cancelled it (music item). I just sent an inquiry, so I will update this when I learn something.
Cyclepartsnation had notified me that it would be 2 weeks per mfr. I wasn't a believer, but lo and behold yesterday it arrived at home, exactly 2 weeks after they told me. :clap:

I will be replacing it Friday, any words of advice? Thanks, ahead of time. :bowdn:
I will report later how it went and even take pic's on the process (I hope to anyway), then update the riding results next trip. :hpdc:
Ken
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 242 times

Post by Me Again »

Charles L. wrote:Gas mileage has dropped.. Used to get 225, now 200, mighty close to "out". But, hesitate to do anything because my 97 is running great. The old "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Shouldn't even say it's running great. That's a sure way to make something bad happen. Am i superstitious ? Nah !
If it's still running great ,I would just go ahead and add some of your favorite gas supplement and see what happens.
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing

Post by doug of so fla »

Pete:: I saw 2 sensors on e-bay yesterday, Charles L. Make sure your air filter is in good shape, if it is over 3 yrs old it will decrease your gas mileage quite a bit even though it looks clean, the paper media breaks down after time and starts restricting air flow and makes engine run rich. It is the most neglected maintenance item on a vehicle cause it seems like ("I just changed it" !) 5yrs ago!!!
doug of no fla
Charles L.
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 97 Voyager

Post by Charles L. »

"Just changed it " five years ago. Yep, that sounds like me alright. One new air filter, coming up.
Hmmmm, now where is that darn thing anyway ? Sitting here typing, i really don't remember where it is located, but i sure can look it up, no problem. And i won't forget about it. Just as soon as the temperature climbs above the freezing mark
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel

Post by gearheadfla »

I run a K&N Filter, clean it every 6 months, 50 mpg most of the time, unless my wrist gets carried away. :devl
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Sunshine State Voyagers
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

gearheadfla wrote:I run a K&N Filter, clean it every 6 months, 50 mpg most of the time, unless my wrist gets carried away. :devl
I run K&N in my Cummins in the 98 Dodge and my wife's Vulcan 800 came with one. Soooooo, why fight it, I put one in the 03 XII a couple of weeks ago. Plan on cleaning and oiling all at same time in Spring and Fall. We get a lot of dust down in the Phoenix area, so might do it more often, but we will see. Only time I don't ride is when the dust kicks up here and the air turns brown outside. :hot:
Just a note, I lived thru and drove thru the ash clouds of Mt St Helens in the early 80's (experienced mud dripping from the skies too), so I do appreciate and care for my air filters. :bat:

Oh yah, Pete, I was planning on experimenting with the sensor I will be taking out this weekend (I hope), but reality of my time says it probably won't happen till the new one breaks.
Are you interested? Maybe work out a deal on a CB antenna mount and antenna, ehhhh? :hmm:
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer

Post by suzib6sw »

Ta for the offer, but I dont have any mounts or antenna's.. Carl's yer man IF they are available..
There are a couple of sensors on flea bay elcheapo and I just picked up a spares radio from the same guy..
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

suzib6sw wrote:Ta for the offer, but I dont have any mounts or antenna's.. Carl's yer man IF they are available..
There are a couple of sensors on flea bay elcheapo and I just picked up a spares radio from the same guy..
Oh, I was thinking that it was you who had cb stuff. :bat: my bad. I was just going to send you the sensor anyway (no charge of course, if you wanted it), the CB thing was just hope for a discount if you had had them. :-D

Ok, Have a great day anyway. :LAngel And of course, thanks for the response. :bowdn:
Don't know yet if I will make Logan (I have to be in Colorado the Friday before), but if we do, we will have something else to laugh over. :gig:
Ken
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer

Post by suzib6sw »

I do have some CB stuff but mainly for spares.. The Controller, and a few old broken boards for spares to repair those that come in but nothing complete.. Antenna's and mounts are at a premium at the moment..
I will take the sensor off your hands though if you want to send it to me.. If I have a couple, I can compare whats failing or where the inaccuracy lies and maybe adjust..
Will of course, pay the postage and remember further down the line for any radio work..
Hoping to get to the Rally if funds and time will permit..

cheers.. !
Pete

1986 Voyager XII

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”