alternator not alternating - or isn't it?

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '94 Voyager as of 02/10
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

alternator not alternating - or isn't it?

Post by richardb, austin »

On my '94 V12 w 89k miles, I have 2 voltmeters & they both say that my alternator is intermittently not producing. I have checked using 2 different batteries and 2 different alternators - in all possible combination of battery and alternator and get the same result. Both alternators were rebuilt by A&M in Phoenix within the past 6 months. Now, I finally notice this: when I hit a big bump in the road sometimes the voltage drops & continues to get lower. but then, when I hit another bump, sometimes the voltage comes back. I now suspect a bad connection in the wiring coming from the alternator toward the rest of the bike. What say ye? Where exactly is the 3 pin connector where the red wires from the alternator become white wires to go on toward the main fuse? And in that continuing route to the main fuse, where exactly is the 10 pin connector where the alternator is white wire in and white wire out? Is that the biggest, white, Hitachi connector?
:bat:
richardb, austin
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: alternator not alternating - or isn't it?

Post by ekap1200 »

Pull the fake tank off and to the left of the fuse box you will see a single white wire (apx 10gauge ) . Check that out first. Its a starting point and subject to rain water when riding. Good luck. As you check all the plug connections it would be a good time to put some dielectric grease on the now cleaned connection. Sure does sound like something is opening up in the wiring somewhere. If its been going on for some time now, the connector that is the problem may show signs of getting hot and discolored. You haven't mentioned a dead battery condition, Make sure your add on voltmeter is not going kaput, or that its wiring isn't opening up. GET ER DONE, ridding season is upon us. Keep us informed were all happy to help. Gene Kap.
( ps. key switch harness has known issues, if still plastic tied to the frame tube. )
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '94 Voyager as of 02/10
Been liked: 0

Post by richardb, austin »

Thanks Gene. I've since cleaned & lubed and dielectric greased all the upfront connectors that I could reach - starting with the 3 each 3pins in the alternator wiring on the left side. No joy yet. Gonna try your suggested connector, then probably call Carl. Handlebar ties long ago removed.
richardb, austin
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

That 3 wire connector where the red wires turn to white is behind the faux tank cover about where your left knee would sit.

Edit: It may be behind the chrome triangle cover, behind your knee.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”