Help! Coolant leak...Kinda, sorta??

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Vtwinguy
Current bike(s): 1997 Kawasaki Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Help! Coolant leak...Kinda, sorta??

Post by Vtwinguy »

Ok, so I started stripping down the "new" bike today, it's the first thing I do when I buy a used bike. There are a lot of backyard mechanics out there who shouldn't own a wrench let alone work on a motorcycle. I like to see what's been done and know where every nut and bolt goes. Plus I check out the wiring, found a couple of wires mashed under the blades of a couple of fuses instead of hooked in correctly.
Anyway back to the topic....after about an hour I noticed some coolant on the floor. I found the leak and took some pics for you. it was a drip about one every 15 seconds or so. Funny thing is all I did (coolant wise) was remove the reservoir cap. I wasn't anywhere near the leaking area. After about 20 minutes the leaked stopped. I couldn't run the engine so I don't know if it will leak under pressure, but there were no leaks when I ran it before. Any ideas??
"The Constitution was written so that the People could control their government NOT so the government could control it's people"........LT.Col Allen West
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Help! Coolant leak...Kinda, sorta??

Post by gearheadfla »

Very common on a XII that has been parked for awhile, like mothballed for the winter, Lots of times after being ran and rode a bit it will stop, other time you just need to replace the o-ring seals. My 88 did it when I first got it, (barn find that set for 15 or so years) but it stopped, run it, get her heated up and keep a eye on it, all else fails replace the o-rings, lots of people here have done that job and will chime in.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
Vtwinguy
Current bike(s): 1997 Kawasaki Voyager
Been liked: 0

Re: Help! Coolant leak...Kinda, sorta??

Post by Vtwinguy »

Thanks gearheadfla! Good to hear it's a common thing. I did have the heat on in the garage, maybe she warmed up just enough to leak. Like I said it didn't leak before when she was running, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. :pray:
"The Constitution was written so that the People could control their government NOT so the government could control it's people"........LT.Col Allen West

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”