Extra Wheels 93 Voyager XII

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

RKNY33
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2004 HD FLHT-P
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Extra Wheels 93 Voyager XII

Post by RKNY33 »

Does anyone have advice on the addition of a kit to the rear of the Voyager to add two more wheels? There are a couple of manufacturers and was hoping someone out there used them. Knees are not what they used to be, especially two up.
Thanks,
RKNY33
'93 Voyager; '04 HD Road King
Past: '83 Suzy GS1100; BMW R75/5
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Extra Wheels 93 Voyager XII

Post by debron »

One issue to be aware of is that with the "Voyager" style trike kit (not to be confused with the Voyager motorcycle) is that you still have only one drive wheel. If you should "high-center" the drive wheel on uneven ground, over a curb, or dip in a driveway for example, your drive wheel may be off the ground. Now you're stuck and will have to push the 800 lb. bike back to even ground. :oh:
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
vxiirider
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 1800 Goldwing Trike
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by vxiirider »

When I had our '03 Voyager triked the only one in the US that I could find that still does them is TriKing Tikes in Daytona, Fl. They can be contacted at WWW.TriKingTrikes.com or by phone at 386-334-0519. The guys name is Mike Estok and is easy to talk to regarding the process. He does not produce a "kit",each unit is a custom build.
John Ramsay
Charlotte, Michigan
'02 GL 1800 Goldwing Trike
It's the journey, not the destination
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

Here's an alternative: Retractable wheels that come up when riding, go down to support the bike when stopped. Called "LandinGear." They don't have one specifically listed for the Voyager, but you can always ask!

http://www.landingear.com/
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
RKNY33
2004 HD FLHT-P

Post by RKNY33 »

debron wrote:One issue to be aware of is that with the "Voyager" style trike kit (not to be confused with the Voyager motorcycle) is that you still have only one drive wheel. If you should "high-center" the drive wheel on uneven ground, over a curb, or dip in a driveway for example, your drive wheel may be off the ground. Now you're stuck and will have to push the 800 lb. bike back to even ground. :oh:
Thanks Ron. I have seen the Voyager kit installed and the ground clearance for the bike does not seem adequate. High centering was not a consideration but is now.
RKNY33
2004 HD FLHT-P

Post by RKNY33 »

debron wrote:Here's an alternative: Retractable wheels that come up when riding, go down to support the bike when stopped. Called "LandinGear." They don't have one specifically listed for the Voyager, but you can always ask!

Yes. I saw them at Americade (Lake George NYRally) a few years ago. Small wheels and if they don't work what happens next would not be good.
Gator Mike
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1994 Kawasaki voyager
2002 Honda 750 ACE
1969 Honda 90

Post by Gator Mike »

I was browsing the net and ran into this. http://trikealternatives.com/ The "ghost wheels" look intresting but don't know anybody who has them. Of course the testimonials on their site are great. I'll probably be looking for something in the next few years as I've had both knees replaced and the bike seems to be getting heavier everytime I get on it...........Gator Mike
"Laisez les bon temps rouler!"

1994 Voyager XII
2001 Honda Ace
1969 Honda CM91

Louisiana Patriot Guard Rider
Combat veterans motorcycle Association
RKNY33
2004 HD FLHT-P

Post by RKNY33 »

Went for the Trigg Kit from the manufacturer in Kentucky.
My repair shop installed it with only one concern. The muffler needed to be dinged in slightly for the proper fit of the kit. Shop mechanic has ridden it so far and said it handled well.
Bike is still leaking gear lube from rear after gaskets were replaced. Drip is from the vent hole.
I will post when I ride it with more details.
RKNY33
2004 HD FLHT-P

Post by RKNY33 »

RKNY33 wrote:
debron wrote:Here's an alternative: Retractable wheels that come up when riding, go down to support the bike when stopped. Called "LandinGear." They don't have one specifically listed for the Voyager, but you can always ask!

Yes. I saw them at Americade (Lake George NYRally) a few years ago. Small wheels and if they don't work what happens next would not be good.
Went for the Trigg kit with 15" American Racing wheels. $3995 plus shipping.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 242 times

Post by Me Again »

RKNY33 wrote:Went for the Trigg Kit from the manufacturer in Kentucky.
My repair shop installed it with only one concern. The muffler needed to be dinged in slightly for the proper fit of the kit. Shop mechanic has ridden it so far and said it handled well.
Bike is still leaking gear lube from rear after gaskets were replaced. Drip is from the vent hole.
I will post when I ride it with more details.
Did you get the reverse on that Trigg kit?
RKNY33
2004 HD FLHT-P

Post by RKNY33 »

No, the reverse cost $1500. I could have went for the frame holder which was $350 and install it later if I wanted.
I did not so I will have to be careful about parking and or have my partner push with me.
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Post by biggersm »

vxiirider wrote:When I had our '03 Voyager triked the only one in the US that I could find that still does them is TriKing Tikes in Daytona, Fl. They can be contacted at http://WWW.TriKingTrikes.com or by phone at 386-334-0519. The guys name is Mike Estok and is easy to talk to regarding the process. He does not produce a "kit",each unit is a custom build.
Since this threat is alive again, I agree that the trikingtrikes are a good deal if you are serious about putting many miles on your bike (or soon to be trike). I've seen their work up close. Sure it will cost a couple thousand (actually for some reason a figure of $8,000 sticks in my mind but I may be wrong). What you end up with is a true trike with two genuine drive wheels and really great storage (you loose the saddlebags but end up with a really big lower trunk in addition to your upper trunk). You can use a pair of car tires and still have one less tire versus a mount over kit and this will save money over the years. I think their best selling point is that they even have an XII on their home page. :thmup:

Update: $10,995 installed with a few extras. You could also consider using the Amtrak Auto train to get down if you don't feel like riding. Give Jim (gearheadfla) or myself a PM if anyone considers this option and needs help with transportation.
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
vxiirider
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 1800 Goldwing Trike
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by vxiirider »

We had our '03 triked in 2010 by TriKing and have been very happy with the result. We do not feel that the "trunk" offers quite as much space as the two saddle bags did but since we now pull a trailer also, it isn't a problem for us.
John Ramsay
Charlotte, Michigan
'02 GL 1800 Goldwing Trike
It's the journey, not the destination

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”