Avon Venom AM42 tires

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

tregal16
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Avon Venom AM42 tires

Post by tregal16 »

A few years ago, JakeWilson was offering a special on Avon tires. I bought (front and rear) from them in May 2010. I installed the rear tire in August of 2010 at 25949 miles (it replaced a Metzger tire that I got almost 20,000 miles out of). Anyway I was giving the bike a really good once over and I noticed that the rear tire was showing cords in the center. It appears to me that a belt broke on the tire since the other half of the tire still has decent tread across it. The bike has 31979 mi on it now, I contacted Jakewilson just to see if there was anything that could be done since I really believe it was a defective tire (I used to be a wrench turner years ago, although it was for cars and trucks). Anyway they emailed me back saying there was nothing that could be done since the amount of time that has passed, plus the fact that the mileage was pretty good for a street bike. Plus they felt that since the cords were showing through in the one area it appears that I locked up the brakes and that caused the wear... Well, that statement sorta jerked me the wrong way, it is a 800+ pound bike, I am not locking the brakes up on this beast, plus I could see getting really crappy mileage out of the tires if I was paying $50 for the tires...

And before anyone says air pressure, the tire is rated at 50 psi, although I ran 44-45 psi checked regularly. No trailer towing, usually rode one up, yes it did ride and was showing signs of a problem, but I was enjoying riding to much to really worry about the tire earlier (yes, bad idea, I am lucky that something serious didn't happen as I was lax in thoroughly checking the tires)

Well enough of the rant... just thought I would share the comical response I got about locking up the brakes on the bike...oh yea, and I won't spend my money on Avon tires ever again.
If it is worth having, it is worth taking care of...

2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Avon Venom AM42 tires

Post by debron »

Yeah,....well,.....that's life in the real world. I'd say that was OK mileage if you were riding a sport bike but it's crappy mileages for a touring bike, regardless of the weight, but what can you do.....?
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
tregal16
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by tregal16 »

you're right...nothing you can do except vent to make you feel better. I understand that people can be hard on products and like to abuse the system, however it isn't right that manufacturers can skirt responsibility when they should really stand by the product when justified.

Bob in Tucson
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Voyager XII

Post by Bob in Tucson »

I don't think you'll be tempted to buy a Venom again since they seem to have discontinued them. I switched back to E3's.
tregal16
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by tregal16 »

Actually as of yesterday, JakeWilson.com still lists the tire as in stock. But you are right I will try E3's or I may go to the darkside...

Gator Mike
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1994 Kawasaki voyager
2002 Honda 750 ACE
1969 Honda 90

Post by Gator Mike »

I've had pretty good luck with Venoms. 20K on the first set and doing well on this set. With that said, I can definately understand your complaint. To say that you brake hard enough to expose the cord is rediculous. You might try going directly to Avon with your complaint. Don't have any idea if they will do anything about it but I would be curious to see what they say.........Gator Mike
"Laisez les bon temps rouler!"

1994 Voyager XII
2001 Honda Ace
1969 Honda CM91

Louisiana Patriot Guard Rider
Combat veterans motorcycle Association
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 242 times

Post by Me Again »

And before anyone says air pressure, the tire is rated at 50 psi, although I ran 44-45 psi checked regularly.
You put to much air in the top and not enough in the bottom.Next time ,turn the tire over.
Only went flat in one spot.
tregal16
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by tregal16 »

Me Again wrote:
And before anyone says air pressure, the tire is rated at 50 psi, although I ran 44-45 psi checked regularly.
You put to much air in the top and not enough in the bottom.Next time ,turn the tire over.
Dang... thanks for the advice....next time I will be more attentive LOL actually reminds me of always saying when someone said they had a flat tire, I would tell them to turn it over, it is only flat on the bottom...or when someone would come into the garage reporting their engine was missing, I would look under the hood and tell them I found it!

gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

That reminds me of a friend I have that had a 1968 Chevy Biscayne wagon, he "converted" it to rear engine by cutting the rear frame out just behind the rear seats, the welded a Olds Tornado front frame and drive line section to it, it really looked like a factory job when he was done. He would stop at these Mom and Pop service stations along his travels and tell the guy his engine seemed to be missing, the guy would open the hood and IT WAS. :oh: I always told him he should mount a old lawnmower engine to the bare cross member, have it running and then tell the guy it don't seem to have enough power all the sudden. :gig: This guy also put a 327/300 horse V-8 on his lawn tractor, but that's another whole story, I got to be the test pilot for that one. :-O
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Sounds like just bad luck or bad roads that popped a cord in the tire. I have ran venoms and the first set would have gone more than 20k if it didn't pick up a nail. The set I have now made the trip out to Utah pulling a trailer and showed just a little cuping when I returned. A week down to Tail of the Dragon worked the cupping right off and I still have the rear tire on it now. Although I have a new E3 I won at the rally to go on this season, I would buy the Avon Venom again . Glad you found out you had a bad issue before it failed out on the road somewhere. As for locking up the rear wheel believe me it can be done, at 80mph after being pushed into another lane ( not moving ) by a truck , I did indeed lock the rear wheel up, but thats another story. Gene Kap.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

gearheadfla wrote:That reminds me of a friend I have that had a 1968 Chevy Biscayne wagon, he "converted" it to rear engine by cutting the rear frame out just behind the rear seats, the welded a Olds Tornado front frame and drive line section to it, it really looked like a factory job when he was done. He would stop at these Mom and Pop service stations along his travels and tell the guy his engine seemed to be missing, the guy would open the hood and IT WAS. :oh: I always told him he should mount a old lawnmower engine to the bare cross member, have it running and then tell the guy it don't seem to have enough power all the sudden. :gig: This guy also put a 327/300 horse V-8 on his lawn tractor, but that's another whole story, I got to be the test pilot for that one. :-O
Actually that was an old Candid Camera stunt done waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 60's! :wnk2:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
MalamuteMike
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1998 Voyager
1995 Voyager Born 1995 Died 17 July 2011
1983 750 CSR
1987 750 Ninja, a 20+ year rebuild that will never get finished in my life time!!!

Post by MalamuteMike »

Me Again wrote:
You need to take the bag off the back so you can turn the tire while airing it up if putting in 44lbs. you put in 11lbs. then turn tire 1/4 turn then add 11lbs. 1/4 turn add 1/4, but remember if this is done in the spring YOU MUST get all the old air out you don't want to mix the air !!
You need to find humor in a train wreck!
And I have had to find humor in my/our train wrecks through life!!

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”