A little advice needed

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Okie34
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 94 Voyager XII
07 Daelim S2 250
06 CF Moto Fashion 250
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

A little advice needed

Post by Okie34 »

I just traded out my beat up 95 XII for a better 90 XII. Anyway, There are a few areas that need a little TLC on the 90.

Question: The radio is not holding it's setting when the engine is shut off with the key. Would this be the small fuse on the back side of the radio? Doubtful it's a loose wire as when it's working, seems to work nicely.

Needs shocks. This sucker sits so darn low I scrape the center stand going around corners.Working on getting either a good set of Stock Shocks or will go airless with Progressive.

Head Light and Marker Light issue. Possibly a start button sticking, but more likely a relay from the triplet is going south. I can bump the starter button and the lights will come on. I can hear the relay click in the upper left dash area. We are pretty certain it's not the wire buss coming from the fuse box. Checked this out yesterday and the block is clean. No corrosion, burn or bad connections.

Yep. This one is a "whiner". Almost a howl! Now I know what everyone is talking about. Little hard starting. Seems like it has to almost wind up and get the engine to go along with it. Then the engine catches and revves right along.

-- JD
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 234 times

Re: A little advice needed

Post by SgtSlag »

Change out all fluids, especially the oil, to ensure all is kosher; run SeaFoam through the gas tank (will remove minor varnish, absorb water, etc.); run SeaFoam through the crankcase before changing oil, to remove carbon, varnish, and other crud, shifting through all five gears to clean the tranny, as well. Go with Progressive, front, and rear -- set it, and forget it. Not sure about the rest. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Okie34
Traveler
Traveler
07 Daelim S2 250
06 CF Moto Fashion 250

Post by Okie34 »

Thanks SgtSlag (why do I know this name???). Already running with seafoam. Love the stuff. Though I didn't think about mixing it in with the oil. I'll add a little this evening. I know the value of the Progressive springs & will get them swapped as the budget (my wife) allows.

On another note: did my first fill up today. Not as good as I was hoping for. Almost 35 mpg. Should be right around 40 mpg. So there may be new plugs & wires in the future as well as a carb sync. I suspect it may also need a rebuild. Just have to see if things improve.

-- JD
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

Also check your air filter, that may help you out with the mileage, some of the "other" filters other than stock have more pleats in them, and that will hurt the mileage. Contact Doug of S fla and he can explain it better, I use a K&N filter and regularly get 50 MPG, but I live in the flat land of Fla. but you should be getting more mileage than you are, unless your wrist is robbing you. lol My Nomad only gets 33 MPG :oh: so I know which bike I will be bringing to Ohio next month. :gig:
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

Setting issue on the clock is most likely a 1amp fuse blown on the back of the radio.

You say the lights come on when you bump the starter. What exactly is the issue with the headlight/running lights? Not working? Intermittent not working? I just worked on a bike for a guy that had no headlight/running light and it was the white 10 pin connector coming from the fuse block. Unplugged it, plugged it back in and it worked. It had already been apart at some point, as it had electrical grease in it. Rather than risk another issue with it down the road, I just cut the headlight feed wire and installed a more durable connection for that circuit.

Go ahead and order the Progressives now. You won't regret it!
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Okie34
Traveler
Traveler
07 Daelim S2 250
06 CF Moto Fashion 250

Post by Okie34 »

Chris,

The Headlight issue is this: Hit Starter Button to start the bike. Head Lights occasionally come on with this initial start. Generally don't. With engine running, tap, flip, bump, click, whatever you want to call it, the starter button until the lights come on. This goes with an audible click in the upper left of the dash (that's why I am thinking relay).

We have checked, and rechecked the wire buss you speak of. I may have to get out the book and see which wires connect to the lights and bypass that buss.

-- JD
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

The wires for the headlight in the white 10 pin connector are red w/blue tracer. They are red w/blue tracer at the relay also.

Just have to start at the fuse block and trace wires until you find where there is no power.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

My teem green had the headlight go off when driving, It was a broken wire from the ignition
left side at the steering stem. Also make sure the wire tie is removed from there, that lets the wires move without braking as quick
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
to. (kew427@comcast.net)

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”