cruise control

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

dcmrn1959
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

cruise control

Post by dcmrn1959 »

Recently completed a long trip sat. Noticed a few things on the highway when using cruise. 1. It wouldn't turn on over 85mph, nor would it adjust up over 85mph. Is there a safety limit on the cruise to cause this? Or could it be there is slack in the cruise cable? Btw thanks to Chris near KC and his video, I watched it and am planning on to do this soon as I have a day to spend. Thanks Dan
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 234 times

Re: cruise control

Post by SgtSlag »

I believe that is a safety feature, installed at the Factory: it won't engage above 85 MPH, below 35 MPH(?), and it must be in OD (light on)/5th gear.

The cable slack will cause it to delay engagement such that you must s-l-o-w-l-y ease off of the throttle, to get it to engage (it must take up the cable slack, first); otherwise, the bike slows down more than 5 MPH from the set speed, and it automatically disengages, as part of a safety measure built into the system. There is quite a bit of engineering built into this cruise control -- it is far more sophisticated than a car cruise control. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Been liked: 1 time

Post by kjsett »

SgtSlag wrote:I believe that is a safety feature, installed at the Factory: it won't engage above 85 MPH, below 35 MPH(?), and it must be in OD (light on)/5th gear.

The cable slack will cause it to delay engagement such that you must s-l-o-w-l-y ease off of the throttle, to get it to engage (it must take up the cable slack, first); otherwise, the bike slows down more than 5 MPH from the set speed, and it automatically disengages, as part of a safety measure built into the system. There is quite a bit of engineering built into this cruise control -- it is far more sophisticated than a car cruise control. Cheers!
Don't know about 85mph limit, but even adjusted it will probably run out of control at those throttle settings on hills (JMHO).
I finally adjusted mine and it was still up against the stop from factory. I meant to video it, but forgot to bring home the power supply for the camera and the battery was near dead. Works great now, but just remember when doing hills it won't shift for you. I plan eventually on installing the OD on always switch that was shared here somewhere. There are times when because of speed limit for long distances, 4th gear would be better.
You will find to get to it: Take off your mirrors then 2 more screws and the front chrome trim comes off; remove the windshield (note height adjustment); 2 screws under headlight and carefully remove it; Take bottom lower fairing off of right side (right as in riders view); Remove right side fairing (just unplug light and the other power connector carefully); Use the video from Chris to do the adjustment (mine took a lot of adjustment.
Should only take a couple of hours first time if you have the right tools (mm allyn wrenchs and phillips #2 and other tools you should already have). I think I could do it now (having done it once) in an hour.
Here is a video, after I had pulled it apart, that might help:
View My Video
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
dcmrn1959
Been liked: 0

Post by dcmrn1959 »

Thanks a lot. Always nice to have helpful people to throw ideas around. Thanks Dan
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by suzib6sw »

It is indeed a documented "feature" in the supplement manual.. its probably closer to 80 MPH in real terms as the speedo is about 5 mph high up there..

Page 15-8 in the Supplement manual.. 30 to 80 Mph is the operating range ..

Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”