Speedometer issue

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

stubabe
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2003 Kawasaki Concours (Motorcycle Heaven)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Speedometer issue

Post by stubabe »

I had a strange problem occur with my speedometer yesterday and was wondering if any one else has experienced anything like it. I was making my normal 55 mile commute to work when ten miles into the ride my speedometer read zero. My cruise control would not engage and my turn signal would no longer auto cancel. I pulled over and the cable looked good from the outside but I could not tell if something was whacked out internally. 42 miles later the speedometer came back to life along with the cruise control and auto cancelling on the turn signals. Could this mean my speedometer cable is getting ready to give up the ghost or is this the symptom of some other problem? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to be taking a cross country road trip in 10 days and cruise control sure would be nice to have.
Carrier take-offs and landings... The best 2-second rides of your life!
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 242 times

Re: Speedometer issue

Post by Me Again »

Chances are if it came back to life ,is that the cables good .
It is more likely that the cable is loose at the speedometer or the sender in the front wheel is going bad.
stubabe
Streetster
Streetster

Post by stubabe »

Thanks. I will check that out.
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

I had a drive seize up and that puts a stop to everything.
There is a chance your drive could have seized and after it cooled started working again.
If you take the front wheel off you will see if the drive keys were skipping over the slots that they fit in. while you have it apart make sure the drive has grease.
Or your cable could have broke and then both parts caught on each other and made it work again.
Ether way you should service the cable and drive, they tend to get water in them.
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
to. (kew427@comcast.net)
bikerking.biz
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1970 Honda CL 350
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by bikerking.biz »

I remove my inner cable every year and relube (and check it of course). I've replaced the drive unit once, but since I've replaced the drive and inspect and relube the inner cable every year, it's lasted for years now- no problems.
Biker King
http://www.bikerking.biz
Check out our huge & redesigned website, which is now your POWER BROKER & "KING of Everything Motorcycle & More"! "Like" our FB page for FB only discounts & more.
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Been liked: 1 time

Post by kjsett »

chevyman1 wrote:I had a drive seize up and that puts a stop to everything.
There is a chance your drive could have seized and after it cooled started working again.
If you take the front wheel off you will see if the drive keys were skipping over the slots that they fit in. while you have it apart make sure the drive has grease.
Or your cable could have broke and then both parts caught on each other and made it work again.
Ether way you should service the cable and drive, they tend to get water in them.
Mine seized over 800 miles from home last October. Couldn't get the parts without paying over $60 next day shipping. I decided to replace the whole unit because individual parts added up close enough and lack of hassle. Turns out there is a stamp metal connecting piece with slots that mates the hub to the speedometer assy. Mine bent when I put it back together (make sure they are properly mated before tightening the hub bolt). If you have to work on the front hub, get one (only about $10).
My wife's Vulcan 800 on a ride in June quit working and it turned out that stamped metal piece again was the culprit.
Just saying that when troubleshooting it went intermittent on me also (same design, different bike).
Thanks for noticing,
Ken
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
stubabe
Streetster
Streetster

Post by stubabe »

Okay, I just want to thank everyone for their input. I just pulled the speedometer cable and discovered it was broken about 6 inches away from the speedometer. I guess it was intermittently making enough contact with itself to function. A new cable is on order and should be in my hands in one week. In the mean time when I ride I will just use my GPS for speed monitoring.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

stubabe,
You will notice that without your speedo-cable you will not have self canceling turn signals, the auto-advance volume on the radio will not function and neither will the cruise control. These features all rely on the speedometer cable, but don't fear once you get the new one on it will be right as rain.
Tip for you (given to me by Carl Leo), soak the new cable in a pan of oil. Any oil, old used oil (free of soot) or new oil. Let it soak completely for 10 minutes or so while being completely submerged, then take it out when you are ready to install. Wipe it off and let the oil drain out of it. Hook it on to the bike at both ends, do a tad more clean up and take it for a ride. Some fellows will also take theirs off at the wheel yearly to drain any water that may collect (rain, condensation, etc...) to prevent the cable from rusting.
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 840 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by cushman eagle »

I had the speedo drive unit fail on my '99 a couple years ago, and have made a habit of packing grease in it whenever I replace the front tire. :thmup:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
AVAChmnMike
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1976 Kawasaki KZ900 Ltd B1
1999 Kawasaki VN1500 J1 Drifter
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 B15 Voyager XII
2010 Kawasaki VN1700 BAC Vulcan Voyager
2018 Kawasaki ZR900 Z900RS

Post by AVAChmnMike »

I had a similar problem while at Americade several years ago. Same thing happened. There is a reed switch which turns off the turn signals. I pictured it as the hand on a clock. When you turn on the turn signal, it goes around in a circle and turns the signals off (so much for simple minds). When it went, it affected cruise and speedo. I was under warranty and they replaced it. That's as much as I know.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”