cruise Control On Light

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 102 times

cruise Control On Light

Post by VoyKimmer »

2002 Voyager XII Rebuilt after Deer Accident.

When I push the cruise control on button the cruise sometimes comes on and sometimes does not. Sometimes have to push it 10 times to come on. After it is on it engages fine and everything works fine. I'm wondering if its the relay or the switch. Being that the relay is up front where it hit the deer I kind of think I should replace that as precautionary since I have already had the brake and cooling fan relays go bad since the accident.

Anyone have this issue and what was the fix?

Thanks
Bob in Tucson
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Voyager XII
Been liked: 0

Re: cruise Control On Light

Post by Bob in Tucson »

Don't know about the relay, but it seems anytime anyone has trouble with the cruise engaging, it's because one of the 6 or 7 switches that all have to be on, is sticking. In my case, the switch on the front brake handle frequently sticks, and I have to push the brake handle away from me.
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Been liked: 1 time

Post by kjsett »

Bob in Tucson wrote:Don't know about the relay, but it seems anytime anyone has trouble with the cruise engaging, it's because one of the 6 or 7 switches that all have to be on, is sticking. In my case, the switch on the front brake handle frequently sticks, and I have to push the brake handle away from me.
I finally replace my hand brake CC switch. Problem went away. Wasn't expensive either.
Chris' video on how to adjust the pulley, and now it works great (now over 6k without any problem).
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
the2knights
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): Current 1999 Voyager XII 1993 Voyager XII 2005 Harley Road King
Past 86 Voyager XII Honda SilverWing Honda CB900Custom Suzuki GS1000 Yamaha 80
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by the2knights »

Hey, I really enjoyed meeting and talking with you in Logan.

I do not claim to be the expert, but the stuck switch has been a problem twice for me. First time was brake light switch from the brake pedal. I disabled it until I could replace it. Second time was front brake switch was sticking a little. I squirted some food grade silicone in the switch as best I could. Has been working fine for over 7 months now!
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1996 Voyager XII

Post by VoyKimmer »

I kind of figured I would get this same response. I guess I wasn't clear. It is the On button on the faux tank that was not going on. Once I got it on the cruise engaged fine. I know all about all the switches. Anyway I fixed it. When I hit the deer the main impact was the headlight and it turned the forward subframe that the headlight and forward fairing mount to into a pretzel. Anyway I mentioned I have replaced both the brake and the cooling fan relays. Now I just replaced the cruise relay and now it works perfectly. I guess those relays did not like that impact. One relay left that I have not replaced under the headlight is the ACC relay. So far its working fine. I might purchase one for it also. Enjoyed meeting you guys also. Nice riding and congratulations. Looking forward to seeing your riding on the Dragon. I'm an old man and not as aggressive but I have always got to where I want to go except once.
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

I'm with you Kim - sounds like damage to the relay or wiring in the area of the crash damage. The issues described, though common, have to do with setting the cruise, not turning it off or on.
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1996 Voyager XII

Post by VoyKimmer »

I could hear the relay click slightly but it wasnt cycling fully or had a poor internal contact. The light would come on real dim and not engage. It works good now with new relay. Very solid click and stays locked first time. I did have the wiring haness out when I replaced the subframe and inspected it completetly. Some minor damage on the aft side but up front by the relays all looked OK. The sudden jolt to those relays must have damaged them internally or shortened their life.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”