fan not working

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

tbrooks56
Streetster
Streetster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

fan not working

Post by tbrooks56 »

My cooling fan is not working checked the fuse and connections. Can turn fan by hand. We are on a trip in Montana and it is hot
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: fan not working

Post by suzib6sw »

May be the sensor the the bottom of the radiator .. I trust coolant levels are ok?
If memory serves, you can bypass the sensor and the fan will come on permanently.. You will need to disconnect it again when you stop or it will run down the battery.
Ground the yellow wire from the sensor.. Fan should kick in.. If it doesnt, then the Fan relay may be at fault.. The relay is behind the headlight, and should be interchangeable with the other 3.. I would choose either the ACC relay and forgo your Radio or the headlight relay..
Fan relay has yellow. blue , and white/blue (x2) going to it..
ACC relay has White/Yellow (x2), Blue/White and black/yellow.
Headlight relay has Red/Blue (x2), Black/White and yellow/blue/
Relays are available from Auto Stores.. its the same as a Toyota
Toyota - part # 41-5002

Good Luck..
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

tbrooks56 wrote:My cooling fan is not working checked the fuse and connections. Can turn fan by hand. We are on a trip in Montana and it is hot
The weather is hot, but is the bike hot? What does your temp gauge say ? When the bike is moving it shouldn't need the fan on, at longer traffic lights or slower speeds (parking lot) it may come on if the temp comes up enough to turn it on then go back off when you get back up to speed. You will know when it comes on and the heat starts hitting your legs coming out of the side vents on the lower fairings, ask me how I know. :gig: I live in Florida and summertime temps in the upper 90's and heat index in the 110 range is the norm, my fan may come on at a light if it's long enough and the gauge rises to just over the half way mark, then go back off once I'm moving again.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 102 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

As Pete says you can ground the wire at the sensor. If that doesn't work might be the relay under the headlight. That was the problem with mine. New relay fixed it. Although I had relay issues in that area from my deer crash.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”