01 intermittent bogging of throttle

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: 01 intermittent bogging of throttle

Post by Heavy Armor »

Welp, I replaced all the vacuum lines above the carbs. After reinstalling I managed to spray and get it to bog once for just a second, but then it disappeared and I can't reproduce. Whatever the case, it had zero impact on running. Still spluttery and bogging when you rev it. I noticed also there's a slight hanging of RPMs as it winds down. Still seems like a vacuum leak, but heck if I have any clue where to look now. Again, these carbs are freshly built by Carl Leo with less than 100 miles on them, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pull them back off and poke and prod.
:gmad:
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 840 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Did you,by any chance,give a call to Carl to see if he had any insite to your problem? :hmm:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Heavy Armor »

Naah. I don't wanna bother anyone with an over-the-phone troubleshooting. I've been on the receiving end of those and they're a PITA. :lol:

I'mma hook the Carbtune back up to it with the airbox still attached and see if I can pinpoint a certain carb behaving differently than the rest. My dad's an actual mechanic, so if I can't make any progress after this I'll make him look at it.
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Heavy Armor »

Here's the Carbtune vid. I have no idea if this behavior is normal. Thought one carb might be obviously puttering compared to the others, but doesn't seem to be the case. The diving and climbing doesn't behave like I expected. Slow rolls cause a quick dive then a climb, whereas a hard roll makes a constant dive...?

https://youtu.be/wVwm4rKeko4
sheiserman
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1989 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

Post by sheiserman »

Heavy Armor wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:59 pm Here's the Carbtune vid. I have no idea if this behavior is normal. Thought one carb might be obviously puttering compared to the others, but doesn't seem to be the case. The diving and climbing doesn't behave like I expected. Slow rolls cause a quick dive then a climb, whereas a hard roll makes a constant dive...?

https://youtu.be/wVwm4rKeko4
That reminds me of the fuel efficiency gauge in a '77 Monte Carlo I once abused. Put your foot in it and the needle goes left, and it stays there as long as the foot is into it. Ease up on the foot, and the needle goes right back over to the right. It's eerily similar to what the gas gauge did.

I see you don't want to trouble Carl with this, but if you are bothering him, he will tell you. If he thinks you ask a stupid question, he will say so then prescribe a remedy for what ails your XII. For what it's worth, I'd send him the video.
These users liked sheiserman's post:
triton28 (Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:26 pm)
Rating: 11.11%
Xarlo
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Xarlo »

Since you've ruled out plugs, battery, and the air horn, I'd check the fuel pump and filter next. An intermittent problem like this often points to a clog or failing pump.
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Heavy Armor »

Fuel pump ticked away, though when it first started up it kinda revved a little, like:
tikka-tikka-tikka-TIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKA-tikka-tikka-tikka-TIKKATIKKATIKKA.....
and then it slowed down and stopped as expected.

Sound normal?

Is there a cleaning method for these things, or do you just buy a replacement?
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 840 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Heavy Armor wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:46 pm Fuel pump ticked away, though when it first started up it kinda revved a little, like:
tikka-tikka-tikka-TIKKATIKKATIKKATIKKA-tikka-tikka-tikka-TIKKATIKKATIKKA.....
and then it slowed down and stopped as expected.

Sound normal?That does sound like the pump is doing what it should :thmup:

Is there a cleaning method for these things, or do you just buy a replacement?
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
GrandpaDenny
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 464 times
Been liked: 426 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Take a look in the Tech center, under Dollar for Dollar I believe. There is a great explanation of how to clean the points on the fuel pump. The OEM pump is superior to anything you'll find to replace it. As for cleaning it out, the remedy of choice for many of us has been Seafoam in the tank.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”