Another Noobie. Clutch 93 XII

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Freaky_1
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Another Noobie. Clutch 93 XII

Post by Freaky_1 »

Well today was another productive day. Will probably be 3 to 6 weeks before you'll have to read another of my update posts :) Bout time to get back out on the road to keep the bill collectors happy.

Today I just spent some time taking everything down and checking over all that I could. Well, and of coarse I had to fire her up once or ten times. :oops:

Things just keep looking better and better.

Ride on folks, ride on,
Frank
Freaky_1

Post by Freaky_1 »

Finally got a few days at home and got a little accomplished, so thought I'd give an update (I did warn ya :-D ).

Well, first things first.

I still haven't replaced the t-stat, but I did verify flow today (still getting replaced, getting an order in with Carl Leo tomorrow on it and other goodies).

Since the coolant is in fact flowing, I went ahead and brought her up to temp with some fresh oil.

1) Wanted to flush some fresh oil through it prior to dumping again and digging into the clutch.
2) Wanted to see if the cooling fan would come on. It works
3) Wanted to check the clutch out a bit as I'd seen some comments on such issues possibly being from the slave cyl not releasing. Haven't dug for info on it yet, but will tomorrow.

Well I found out some things:

First, my fuel and temp gauges are intermittent (not a big deal to fix me thinks. At the least, I've got to add the recommended ground).

Second, my turn signals are completely inop (turn or hazard). Again, shouldn't be a big deal.

Third, I love this bike

Fourth, It does NOT like to turn over when warm (don't yet know if there's a timing retard when starting or not, but if there is, it would likely be my issue as I'm not exactly starting it per normal operation).

Fifth, my bars were one notch out from one side to the other (actually still are to be honest).

Sixth, I love this bike

Seventh, charging system is operation normally.

Eighth, the clutch does in fact seem to be related to the slave cyl not releasing. The more I use it, the worse it gets, but let it sit and it starts working nicely again.

Ninth, I love this bike

Tenth, these things are a pain to work on with no center stand (actually it has one, but as the foot lever is broken off of the stand it's self (the first lever you push down), it takes two people to use it and I didn't have a helper.

Tenth. . . . . Did I mention that I love this bike?!?!?

I did take it on a 100 yard ride to see if I could find an excuse for doing so. Failed miserably, but got to ride it. lol

Since the last update, the above, plus:

Both front and rear breaks fully functional.
Now has a set of stock pipes that aren't "vented".
Fuel pump now working properly (thanks for the tutorial!).
Replaced all fuel lines.
Have gotten fairly good at replacing the cable controls at the carburetors.
Traced and repaired some rat modified wiring (still a little to go, buy not a biggie).
Found out that I don't know jack squat about all the smog goodies, but plan to soon enough.
A few other little pickley bits done here and there once my back got tired of the bigger issues.

She's a little bit closer!

Thanks for all the help good folks,
Frank
Freaky_1

Post by Freaky_1 »

Another of those forewarned update posts (though no real progress to report).

Just got my parts from Carl Leo (actually they were already here waiting on me when I got home).

Can't wait to get the solenoid in and get the colling system finished up. Ready to put some miles on this critter!

The plan for the next couple days is to get the clutch master down, cleaned and reinstalled / bled.
Get the coolant system completed and the solenoid installed. Service the forks and shocks. Get the last bit of bodged wiring done (rear fender light, got decisions to make as I don't really like the previous owner's solution).

Then I'll start diggin into the the details, like turn signals and intermittent gauges.

Frank
Freaky_1

Post by Freaky_1 »

Got in a good day on the Voyager yesterday.

Got most everything on my list sorted for the ride.
She's still not right, but she's a heck of a lot closer!

She now starts with a touch of the starter button (instead of a jump of the bodged on Ford solenoid) thanks to Mr. Carl Leo! Thinking there must indeed be a IGN retard built into the CDI unit as hot fire is no longer an issue.

Pretty much everything is easier to do now that I have a shop manual, thanks to Mr. Carl Leo AND Mr. Jensee!

She now starts and idles easily, doesn't leak around the waterpump housing (thanks to Mr. Carl Leo!), AM and FM now both work (thanks to MANY), and even shines (one one side of the fairing :gig: ).

Still to do between now and Friday:

Battery (STILL hasn't come in!)
Service final drive
Tag and title (ooops, kinda forgot that one!)
Replace hose (more on that)
Dilute my tank of seafoam with some gasoline :lol:
Diag and repair / replace leaking front tire (I think it's the valve stem, but haven't soaped it yet)
Get bicycle pump for suspension
Finish bleeding clutch hydraulics (thanks again Mr. Carl Leo!)
Change engine oil again
Flush cooling system one more time and refill with GOOD antifreeze solution
Repair 4 more wires (turn signals)
Ride
Ride
Ride
Ride
Ride
Ride
Ride some more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tore the clutch master down and cleaned it. INTERESTING. Not so interesting that it was gunked up something fierce, but that the PO had added fluid on TOP of the gasket. Dust cover was and still is toast. I'll pick one up from Carl Leo.

Got the carbs back on and fired it up after all other work. Fired right up! Sadly, shortly after, it blew a coolant hose. (W/P to "distribution pipe") Actually, the hose didn't blow, the well camouflaged tape covering a pin hole let go. :bat:

The "new" mufflers look a thousand times better than the rotted ones that came off, but still look like crud. Got plans for that this winter. :devl

Well, time to run off and grab another bottle of DOT4, gear lube, antifreeze, O/F, more heat shrink, and get it tagged and titled!

OH, as I'm certain that I'm not the first to tackle a voyager in such sad shape, any suggestions as to specific spares or such to carry along this weekend????
Sadly, this will be her first decent trip, so check rides prior will likely not show everything I need to know.

A pic. Supprisingly, much of the bike will shine up. There's not much hope for the bag lids or trunk lid, and one side cover's got a nasty crack in it, but Kawasaki must have used some good paint / clear!
(click image for larger view from my photobucket account)

Thanks all!
Frank
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 242 times

Post by Me Again »

Tag and title (ooops, kinda forgot that one!)

While your at it ,call your insurance agent.
:hmm:
Freaky_1

Post by Freaky_1 »

Me Again wrote:Tag and title (ooops, kinda forgot that one!)

While your at it ,call your insurance agent.
:hmm:
lol, I insured it a month ago, when I "planned" to get home and get it titled.
Freaky_1

Post by Freaky_1 »

Got most of it put back together today. Even took a short ride with no bags, side cover or rear seat.

Then at 4:45 I got a call from my Father. My Grandmother had passed away. Bless her life, she's outlived all but one of her children. I can't even imagine such. She has been a huge part of my life and a huge part of my raising. She will be missed, but now her troubles are over. The doctors said "any day" a few years ago and she made it this long.

With both her and my Father greatly outliving what doctors said they could, it's kind of hard to accept any personal defeat. Hard as things may be sometimes (hard times now, but NOT an issue), I can't help but see what all my Grandfather lived through and persevered, what Granma lived through and persevered and that my Father is still with us to this day.

Sometimes we just have to look at where we came from, ya know?

Anyway, sorry for a rambling post and one so far off topic. Just wanted to begin my own celebration of her life now and maybe share a tad with others.

Gotta go tomorrow and see when we can have the funeral (got family and the funeral home to plan between). I don't know now if I'll be making the ride to Carl Leo's or not, we'll have to see from here. Either way, provided he doesn't object, I'll be making the first trip up there, even if it's after the meet. Have to shake the man's hand at the very least. It's also an easy enough day ride from here.

If we can plan things for Thursday (what seems best for everyone I've talked to so far), we'll still be able to make it, so going to complete my work as if we're going. Later this winter, I'll be tearing it all back down to do a more thorough job of "restoring" it.
Gator Mike
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1994 Kawasaki voyager
2002 Honda 750 ACE
1969 Honda 90

Post by Gator Mike »

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Never got to know mine as both passed before I was 2 or 3. I missed not knowing them so I can only imagine how you feel. Our condolences
......................... Gator Mike & Bonnie
"Laisez les bon temps rouler!"

1994 Voyager XII
2001 Honda Ace
1969 Honda CM91

Louisiana Patriot Guard Rider
Combat veterans motorcycle Association

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”