balance shaft seals

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

modelmandan
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

balance shaft seals

Post by modelmandan »

Hello all new to this site great site btw I have a 88 Voyager that I picked up on cl and she's leaking oil at the balance shaft seals my question is how big of a job is it to replaced those seals thanks Dan from FL
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Re: balance shaft seals

Post by gearheadfla »

Welcome to the family, you have lucked out twice, 1st finding Kawasaki's best kept secret, and even bigger, you live a hop and skip from the XII GURU Carl Leo, even closer than me, he can answer any, and I mean ANY question you have about your 88, the first thing he may ask is how much oil is in the bike? After pulling 2 drain plugs and the filter refill with 3qts 22oz of oil, forget the site glass, his number is
731-413-8666 or shoot him a E-mail at voyagerparts@bellsouth.net, he lives just north of Daytona right on the Famous Daytona Loop. Tell him Jim Mellons sent you. Any other questions you come up with fire away, Would love to have you become a paid member and get the benefits of that and also help to keep the AVA growing. I have a 88 also and love it, you will too.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
modelmandan

Post by modelmandan »

thank you brother, I will do that!
:thmup:
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

How mny miles on the 88? Reason I ask is the valve cover gasket starts to leak over time & miles, and it sneaks down the front of the engine and makes it look like the balance seals are leaking cause these rarely leak. Clean up around that area and make sure the seals are whats leaking and not the valve cover gasket. The seals are fairly easy to replace. A conversation with Carl would be worth it before you start..
doug of no fla
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

I've done one set and that was several years back. Used a wood screw to dig out the old seals.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
modelmandan

Post by modelmandan »

Here is the story Bike is showing just over 58 k but not sure as i got another speedo cluster in the deal showing 9021 whitch could be 10921 so not sure it looks like it has been leaking for some time before it was parked back in 2004 or 2005 as near as as I can tell , I know I have bitten into a big project bike but I like a good Challenge. I heard it run when I bought it so I know its not a bad engine Just have to fix all the little gremlins, I have already cleaned the carbs. I found that the spark plug Cap on # 4 had broken and did not contact the spark plug correctly. I found that the ngk resistor caps will do a good job and at 4.95 each beats the hell out of paying oem parts cost. Next will be the big test, degrease all the underside of all the old oil leaks that I missed the first cleaning , get it running and see where she is leaking badly. It looks like it is coming from the balance shaft seals so I will find out, still have a lot more work to do but I have already made alot of progress and I am really jazzed that the Radio works :gig: thanks Dan from FL
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

I love a good project, I found my 88 in a garage where it had been sleeping for about 15 years with only 5000 miles on the clock, got it running, resealed the forks and cleaned it up a little, rode it for a year then did a almost complete tear down, the engine and driveline is strong so I didn't get in to it, but everything else was redone, took about 2 months of tinkering after work and weekends to complete start to finish, calls and E-Mails to Carl and help form the good people here made it a fun project. Now she is a head turner ans I get a lot of complements wherever I go with it. Here is a pic to help keep you motivated as you tackle your ride.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
modelmandan

Post by modelmandan »

Oh man that's the same color as mine, sweet just got it running this morning man does she sound strong!!

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”