Starter Chain, tensioner, and parts for 1987 Voyager XII

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

sxboyd
Current bike(s): 1984 & 1985 Voyagers
1986 Voyager XII
1987 Voyager XII (2 each)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Starter Chain, tensioner, and parts for 1987 Voyager XII

Post by sxboyd »

At the beginning of the season, I put a new battery in my 87 Voyager. A couple of months later, the starter halted during the start a couple of times. Now I have a new vibration and crunching noise from the crankcase. I did the research and found that this was a common problem with the 86 and 87 Voyager XIIs. I have two 87s, so I checked the Igniters on both of them - guess what - both had the old igniters: 1179. I have an '86 that I have been using as a parts bike, so I pulled the igniter (1248) from it and installed it into my wife's 87. However, mine is hurt badly, and I need parts to repair it - starter chain and tensioner. Where can I find the part numbers for the parts that I need; I can't find them in the service manual or in the online parts houses. I also need a new igniter (1248). I guess I can remove the chain and tensioner from my old '86, but I still need an igniter.

Parts and/or part numbers are truly appreciated. Broke in Oregon.http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/posti ... e=post&f=3#
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Starter Chain, tensioner, and parts for 1987 Voyager XII

Post by chevyman1 »

If the 86 engine is good I would just swap out the engine.
It's a lot of work to change a starter chain
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)
Steve do
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2013 Gold Wing

Post by Steve do »

sxboyd, go to the home page, AVA tech center/ Voyager 12/ go down to Starter Chain/Igniter, the parts #s are there, I think these are the ones you need. Good luck
Steven
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

Earcel, when you are shopping for a replacement igniter you will often find them on eBay but be warned - there are some unscrupulous sellers who will scrape the numbers off an 1179 igniter and pass it off as a 1248. If you can't read the numbers in the photos, figure it's an 1179 as it is easy to wipe these numbers off but very difficult to eliminate the numbers on a 1248. The numbers on the 1248 are applied differently. (More permanent.)
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
voyager55
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by voyager55 »

For the low prices our bikes sell for, I'd just get a different bike. A lot less hassles
sxboyd
Current bike(s): 1984 & 1985 Voyagers
1986 Voyager XII
1987 Voyager XII (2 each)

Post by sxboyd »

Hey Chevyman. The engine in the '86 has been sitting outside without protection for several years. I will remove it from the old bike and turn it over to see what kind of shape it is in. Thank the rest of you for your input. I would just get another bike right now, but I can't afford it - and I do hate to see such a beautiful bike go into the cannibalization locker. In either case for using the chain from the '86, I still have to pull the both engines from the two bikes. If I pull the engine from the '86, I will not put it back into the old frame - so if anyone needs parts, let me know. I have already used the igniter and several other parts. All of the plastic parts were wrecked badly in an accident - before I bought it for parts.

Thanks everyone. I need lots of prayer before tackling this task. http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/posti ... f=3&t=8067#
archer500
Current bike(s): 1999 KAWASAKI VOYAGER
2005 HARLEYDAVIDSON SPORTSTER

Post by archer500 »

You are right about Ebay I just saw one that is portrayed as a 1248 by showing a factory box with label showing 1248. But you can plainly see in the photo the 1179 part number on it. He is avoiding any reference of the part number other than saying it's tested and safe. Buyer beware on Ebay. Just a heads up. Robert B.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”