oil fill using bike oil window

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

4redjf
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1996 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 5 times

oil fill using bike oil window

Post by 4redjf »

I know i've read to not rely on the little oil window for making sure 3qts and 22oz of oil is in the bike.
Been working on the stripped oil plug and leaking oil sensor, and had used some of the previous oil, which was very new oil, to check for leaks. Well Good news is no leaks but a problem with quantity of oil that came out after testing for leaks. I'm pretty sure i put over 2 qts of old oil in to check for leaks and when i drained it to put in new oil today, about a 1.5 qts is all that came out of it. oh, i also changed the filter today too. I didnt exactly measure the 2 qts putting them in.
So, after all of this, i started adding my new oil. I've put in 72oz so far and started it up, thinking i may have too much in it, and let it sit. The little glass shows clean oil just barely passs the low mark in the glass. Going to check again in the morning and if it still is on the low side per the glass, should i add the additional 46 oz to be at the requirement? or just enough to go to the top mark on the glass?
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 840 times
Been liked: 283 times

Re: oil fill using bike oil window

Post by cushman eagle »

With the bike level for & aft and left & right,I would put enough in to put the oil level just below the top of the glass,after the bike has sat for a couple hours to stabilize the oil level. :thmup:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
4redjf (Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:53 am)
Rating: 11.11%
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Did you remove BOTH drain plugs? You must drain ALL of the oil, removing BOTH drain plugs.

The window is a guideline. The 3 qts. 22 oz. is the precise amount, the golden amount. Cheers!
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
4redjf (Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:53 am)
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
4redjf
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by 4redjf »

SgtSlag wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:30 am Did you remove BOTH drain plugs? You must drain ALL of the oil, removing BOTH drain plugs.

The window is a guideline. The 3 qts. 22 oz. is the precise amount, the golden amount. Cheers!
yes, i have it on its center stand and a one inch board under the front wheel to make it as level as possible.
i changed out the oil filter and removed the oil sensor to put in the new one.
i'm hoping that the piggyback drain plug that i used for the stripped hole continues to work. I did use the permatex thread sealant 59235 high temp.
For these repairs and the replacement of the oil sensor i have used the previous oil and filter, both were fairly new.
Ok, then will measure how much more is needed to bring the oil level to the upper level on the glass.
I will write it down to see when i change it later on if the amounts are close.
thanks
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 102 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

I would run it for a while before adding oil. For me it takes several hundred miles for the sight glass to start reading correctly after an oil change. If anything add oil until you barely see it in the sight glass. Remember to little oil is better than to much oil.
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by SgtSlag »

I'm gonna post what everyone is thinking, but maybe not comfortable posting to you...

Drain the oil, removing the filter, to start over, to be certain you get it right. Re-fill it with the 3 qts. 22 oz. and know that it is correct, and proper. It is the only way to be certain.

Too little oil will cause excessive wear on the engine/transmission.

Too much oil will increase pressure on seals, and weaken/blow them, and that can happen with any seal, anywhere within the engine/transmission.

Your bike is old, and time is not our friend, nor is it the bike's friend. Avoid needless stress and wear and tear on your machine.

It is your bike, do what you will. Just food for thought. You have taken such lengthy measures to make your bike right and tight, already. I just hate to see you take a shortcut now.

I am glad you found the sealant stuff useful. Better safe, than sorry. Did a 40 MPH low slide when the rear tire of my Honda blew its innertube. Had my youngest son, a grown man at the time, on back, when the rear tire slid out from under us. We both slid 100+ feet down the blacktop roadway. I've had three low-slides in the past 42 years, no serious injuries. Leaking oil will likely cause the rear tire to slide out from under you. It is not fun. Armored jackets, leather pants/chaps, gloves, and helmets are all wonderful for reducing injuries (I know, first-hand), but they do not make you indestructible. :shock: Cheers!
:wnk2:
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
4redjf (Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:04 pm)
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 592 times

Post by Nails »

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. I also measure the sacred oil volume, pour it in, and then forget about it. I do that because it suits my lazy nature -- the sight glass is a PITA to use.

Having said that, I think all y'all are getting way too fussy. I'm confident that the sight glass works well enough. I'm confident it's close enough, whether on the bottom or the top of the glass. (But it sounds like those who have checked found the level usually runs toward the top. Dunno, never checked myself.)

This reminds me of folks getting too fussy with tire pressures: those of us with TPMS know that the pressures vary a lot with normal riding. Just check the TPMS when you saddle-up that it's near the cold specs, and then ride. Maybe enjoy how much higher it gets when the tires get warm and then hot. Or fork/shock pressures -- those change going over every bump. Just see if it's generally in spec now and again. (Or get Progressives.)

But fergawdsakes, just ride!

My pair-a-dime(s), and worth every cent. :tong:
These users liked Nails's post:
GrandpaDenny (Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:36 pm) • 4redjf (Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:06 pm)
Rating: 22.22%
--
Nails
bonvoyagelaine
Current bike(s): Sniper Yamaha
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Post by bonvoyagelaine »

I would add just a bit more oil until it reaches the top of the sight glass. The glass should give you a good indication once the bike has run for a while.
These users liked bonvoyagelaine's post:
4redjf (Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:06 pm)
4redjf
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by 4redjf »

bonvoyagelaine wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:52 pm I would add just a bit more oil until it reaches the top of the sight glass. The glass should give you a good indication once the bike has run for a while.
Did another test run yesterday, 45 miles. Started raining so wanted to come home anyway. Checked for leaks, no leaks... great. Checked the sight glass this morning, while on the center stand, oil level slightly below midway of the marks. I added to the 90oz, 6 more oz. totaling 96oz for now. I know all of this may seem overkill but that's just me.
Next thing i'm checking is the front wheel and shocks. the PO had rebuilt the shocks himself and new tires installed. So, for my piece of mind on bolt tightness and greased bearing, i like to look for myself.
It rides fine but again my piece of mind.. Will do the front end first, and then tackle the rear wheel.
These users liked 4redjf's post:
cushman eagle (Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:14 am) • Nails (Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:30 am)
Rating: 22.22%
GrandpaDenny
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 464 times
Been liked: 426 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

4redjf wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:09 am
SgtSlag wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:30 am Did you remove BOTH drain plugs? You must drain ALL of the oil, removing BOTH drain plugs.

yes, i have it on its center stand and a one inch board under the front wheel to make it as level as possible.
i'm hoping that the piggyback drain plug that i used for the stripped hole continues to work. I did use the permatex thread sealant 59235 high temp.
For these repairs and the replacement of the oil sensor i have used the previous oil and filter, both were fairly new.
Ok, then will measure how much more is needed to bring the oil level to the upper level on the glass.
thanks
3 qts 22 oz = 118 oz. That's how much the bike should have taken. Did you drain from BOTH oil drain plugs? From your description above it's not clear. There are two oil drain plugs, both must be opened and drained to get all of the oil out.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
4redjf
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by 4redjf »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:52 pm
4redjf wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:09 am

thanks
3 qts 22 oz = 118 oz. That's how much the bike should have taken. Did you drain from BOTH oil drain plugs? From your description above it's not clear. There are two oil drain plugs, both must be opened and drained to get all of the oil out.
Yes, and at this point i have added 98 oz of new oil, putting the level just barely at the full mark. So I'm sticking with this amount right now till i ride some and as always i do check the oil everytime before riding.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”