I'm in love

Own something other than a Voyager? This forum allows you to more easily find non-Voyager articles.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

GrandpaDenny
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 464 times
Been liked: 426 times

I'm in love

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Rode a Goldwing 1800 today - a 2002. First ride the owner had the backrest on and I was really cramped - he's a lot shorter than I. Then he pulled the backrest off, and when I sat upon her, I thought, "ah, home". Perfect fit. Only problem is it's a tight fit for my size 15 feet, but I'm sure some adjustments to shift and brake levers would help.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Conrad
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 93 kawasaki voyager xii
89 yamaha venture royale
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: I'm in love

Post by Conrad »

Buying? Hoping you're back on 2 wheels soon either way!
GrandpaDenny
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Oh I've been back on two wheels for a month or two now. Bought a '93 Vulcan 88 with 13k on it. Beautiful, gorgeous bike but... yuck. LOL

It gets me around, as is purty to look at, but... yuck.

Why yuck?
1. Seating position.
2. Can't haul much in the way of groceries.
3. No cruise control.
4. Too loud (stock exhaust AFAIK but still I want to apologize to my neighbors every time I start her up)
5. No windshield, fairing, saddlebags, heated grips, heated seats, top trunk, etc.
6. Only tops out at 107.
7. I don't like the way it handles.
8. Is about as exciting to ride as a recliner.

Yeah, I could add saddlebags (I did get a trunk bag), windshield, throttle lock, etc. etc. etc. But still it wouldn't be exciting to ride. With Gertrude, every day I was like, "C'mon old girl, let's go DANCE". With this bike, it's more like, "aw, man, do I have to ride today?"

I know many people love cruiser bikes. Their tastes are different than mine. This bike just doesn't ring any of my bells. When I get the settlement from the accident, I hope I have enough to get a Goldwing 1800. I think the ones I like best are the 2001-2010s, based almost entirely on looks compared to the 2012-2017s. Also the first gens are a bit more reasonable in price. I don't want to spend all of my money on a bike.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
sheiserman
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1989 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

Post by sheiserman »

Size 15? I couldn't imagine. I do hear it gives you good understanding, though.

I see it's not what you're looking for, but I'd love to try the DTC. After getting stuck on I-70 in Denver, I was wishing I had one.

I've often wondered if any 1800 would be better or just different than the old XII. I think the DTC option would elevate it to better.

Good luck with your search.
GrandpaDenny
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by GrandpaDenny »

sheiserman wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:03 am Size 15? I couldn't imagine. I do hear it gives you good understanding, though.
LOL many, many years ago in the infancy of Internet mailing lists, I was a list admin, and when somebody got out of line they were warned (not by me) about "Doc's Pee-Pee Stomping Boots"
I see it's not what you're looking for, but I'd love to try the DTC. After getting stuck on I-70 in Denver, I was wishing I had one.
What's a DTC?
I've often wondered if any 1800 would be better or just different than the old XII. I think the DTC option would elevate it to better.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks. Goldwings may be perfect for what I'm looking for - comfort, performance, low maintenance, grocery-hauling ability, doodads, etc. etc. But I'm still checking out Voyager XIIs. Goldwings are soooooo comfortable and soooo easy to maneuver. It sure didn't feel like 900 lbs. There are sooooo many of them, though. They don't have the "character" that the VXII has. And, of course, I'm still drooling a bit over Concours 1000s. So many choices, so little money.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 592 times

Post by Nails »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:30 pm What's a DTC?
Probably meant "dual-clutch transmission", something that sparks my interest in a mid-size replacement for XII. I've been looking at NC700X or 750X but haven't come across one (new or used) in the flesh. (I couldn't live with the forward controls of CTX.)

For the crack, I have a pile of GL500 and CX500 bits plus a GL650 motor -- enough crap to build both a 650 mod in a GL500 (with hard luggage, maybe with GXTR600 forks/brakes already in my pile) for highway touring plus a CX500 "scooter" (an ADV-style maybe with a proven YZ-forks swap that might work for dirt-willing touring). Too many projects!

But I'm still attracted to DCT. Maybe one day.

All this chatter is just talking because I'm still stuck finishing my shop. In fact, today (of all days) I'll borrow a neighbor's tractor/loader to put up a heavy viga to really start the lincoln-log frame. I just got the template for the roof trusses off the wall and on my shop floor.
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Oh ok DCT, ok that I know of. You know, with my big feet, DCT might be a nice idea. I dunno, though - I like sawing through the gears in four (or more) wheeled vehicles, and the same on bikes. 'Course, part of that might be that until recently that's really, will a few exceptions like the Honda Hawk, the only thing available. I bet when foot shifting came about people bitched about that saying hand shifting was the only way to go, right?

Man if I had the means and space I'd have a bunch o' bikes. Cars and trucks, too. Chances are pretty good I'd be a vehicle hoarder. I used to feel that the perfect number of vehicles was three - a truck for me, a car for the family, and a motorcycle. The rational was actually that if one broke, it was good to have a spare, and if two broke you'd need a third. This actually came into play one day when I was stationed in CT. I got called into work (I worked on a tug) and I'd been, um, drinking a bit. My truck was out of gas. My then-wife had loaned her car to a friend the night before and she'd brought it back totally empty. Only vehicle with gas was the bike. First, last, and only time I rode under the influence. I made it to work, but when I was showing my ID to the Marine at the gate I dropped the bike as I was putting my wallet back into my pocket.

Hey Nails, I saw a GL650 Interstate for sale somewhere around here yesterday. It's not complete, though.

When I first heard of the NC700 man I was drooling. Never ridden one, though. Perhaps if I'd tried one before I found Gertrude. Gertrude was love at second sight - I hated her at first! What a hooptie she was! But man, the fun and adventures we had together, and I sure did learn a lot from you guys about Voyagers.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
GrandpaDenny
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Here ya go, Nails - the Silverwing:
https://www.facebook.com/share/uzR6ZYMs25fmzD6B/
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

That motor is worth the price ... I suppose if you have something to put it in.
Never see deals like that around here.
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by GrandpaDenny »

No sir, you were the one talking about Silverwings. Just thought you might find it of interest.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Yeah, I would look to buy it ... if even remotely within the range of my old pickup. (Well, I really should consider that I already have four dead Silverwings.)
--
Nails
StreetSavant
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by StreetSavant »

Dennis, it's great to hear you had such a memorable ride on the Goldwing 1800! It sounds like a perfect match once the backrest was adjusted. Since you're feeling a bit cramped with your size 15 feet, making some adjustments to the shift and brake levers is a solid idea. It'll help you ride comfortably and safely. Keep enjoying the road on your rides and stay safe out there!
GrandpaDenny
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Thanks. You know what's keeping me from going all goo-goo ga-ga over a Goldwing like I did over Gertrude? Goldwings are... common. Voyager XIIs aren't. The Goldwing 1800 checks all the boxes of what I need/want in a motorcycle, everything, like to perfection, and I love the looks of the 2001-2010s (but not the later ones), but they're... common. I guess I like the attention of riding an uncommon bike.

So I'm telling myself I don't want another project. I don't want to have to do a lot of maintenance, I don't want to deal with strange oddities, twerks, er I mean kwirks, carbs, difficult-to-find parts, mysterious flying saddlebag lids, and having to add the doodads I need/want such as heated seats and grips etc. The Goldwing cures all of those problems and then some - the '06 and up even have foot warmers! But everwhere I went on Gertrude, she was like Tigger - she was the only one there, the only VXII. My club rides (Retreads) are almost all Goldwings.

I also very much value the cameraderie, knowledge exchange, and family-like atmosphere of the AVA. Yeah, I know, I don't have to leave the AVA because I ride something other than a VXII, but it's like I lost the common thread, the exchange of tips and tricks. I learned a LOT about Voyagers here. I didn't know a thing about them five years ago. Everything I know about them I learned here.

AND... I still haven't decided. Goldwings are EXPENSIVE. There's a VXII for sale right on the other side of the river that has everything I want - heated seats, heated grips, CB, Baker Wings, extra lights, and it's $3500. I'm probably looking at least double that for a Goldwing.

AND... whilst I say I don't want another project bike, I miss tweaking and wrenching and customizing Gertrude. Like, this Vulcan I'm riding now doesn't really need anything, and I just ride her. Nothing falls off. :tong:
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:43 amGoldwings are... common. Voyager XIIs aren't.
Ignorant people have looked at my de-badged XII and asked, "What is that, a Goldwing?"

"Good eye! And did you notice that we transplanted a Fireblade motor into it?"
These users liked Nails's post:
GrandpaDenny (Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:28 am)
Rating: 11.11%
--
Nails

Return to “All Other Brands General Forum”