Running Poorly

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Darkhorse
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Running Poorly

Post by Darkhorse »

I have my 99' Voyager. It has been sitting awhile this winter, with periodic starts. When on full choke or a little off close it runs, if I open the choke it runs poorly, like it is starving for fuel. Just some questions. I have read about the points of the fuel pump needing cleaning, the fuel pump, the fuel filter. or possibly just old gasoline. I would like some input, would be appreciate.

David
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Running Poorly

Post by gearheadfla »

The first thing I would try is fresh gas and Seafoam, I bought a 01 that sit for God knows how long and it was missing on one cyl. unless it was on full choke, fresh gas and Seafoam has made it 95% better with just starting it, letting it run until the cooling fan turns on and shutting it down at a high RPM to "flood" the carbs and cyls. let sit and repeat again the next day, 3 days later it's not missing and will idle. My 01 is not ready to be ridden on the road yet so maybe riding your would help even more. I'm thinking the fuel pump would either work or not work, also check your fuel filter, if clogged that would starve it for gas. The choke on a XII don't really "choke" as we think, it enriches the fuel mixture to feed more fuel in.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

gearheadfla wrote:The first thing I would try is fresh gas and Seafoam, I bought a 01 that sit for God knows how long and it was missing on one cyl. unless it was on full choke, fresh gas and Seafoam has made it 95% better with just starting it, letting it run until the cooling fan turns on and shutting it down at a high RPM to "flood" the carbs and cyls. let sit and repeat again the next day, 3 days later it's not missing and will idle. My 01 is not ready to be ridden on the road yet so maybe riding your would help even more. I'm thinking the fuel pump would either work or not work, also check your fuel filter, if clogged that would starve it for gas. The choke on a XII don't really "choke" as we think, it enriches the fuel mixture to feed more fuel in.
I have got the Seafoam will try it. What is the best way to drain the gas tank? Its one of the few things I have not messed with. Appreciate you help with this. I will try it tomorrow, need a little more warm weather, supposed to be warmer tomorrow and this weekend.
David
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel

Post by gearheadfla »

I have never tried to figure out how to drain the tank :hmm: but that's a good question and I'm sure someone here has done it. They will chime in and help. I will take a look at my parts bike, it's all stripped of the tupperware and the tank pretty mush exposed. But even though I am in Florida tonight it will be 38 degrees and that's COLD for us southern wimps, so I will look at that in a couple days. :cold: :gig:
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Sunshine State Voyagers
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 102 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

To change the fuel filter you have to take the fuel line from the tank off of one side of the filter. If you don't pinch the line preventing fuel from leaking it will empty the tank.
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by SgtSlag »

I would try the SeaFoam, first, without draining the gas tank. SeaFoam will absorb water, to a point, as well as dissolving minor varnish deposits. Start simple, and work towards the complex, only after the simple stuff fails to fix the issue. If it runs better with SeaFoam, try running the bike until the tank is pretty drained, then fill it with gasoline, and add more SeaFoam, following directions, to absorb any water left, as well as dissolving more varnish (if any is left). After that, it may be time to drain the gas tank/remove and clean the carbs/whatever, if performance does not improve. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

You can always do like the old days with cars and syphon the gas out of the tank.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel

Post by gearheadfla »

I love working on my bikes, with that said I still always try the simple stuff first to get out of the harder part. If that don't work then I have no problem diving in head first. Try the Seafoam and fresh gas and see what it does, go from there. Many years of stockcar racing taught me the K.I.S.S. method (Keep It Simple Stupid) and it saved me a lot of heartache and money once I started not re-engineering everything I broke. :hmm: :gig:
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Sunshine State Voyagers
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

Kim In Illinois wrote:To change the fuel filter you have to take the fuel line from the tank off of one side of the filter. If you don't pinch the line preventing fuel from leaking it will empty the tank.

Thanks for the tip. I thought taking it loose from the filter would drain it or most of it.
David

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”