moving pass seat back

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Conrad
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 93 kawasaki voyager xii
89 yamaha venture royale
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: moving pass seat back

Post by Conrad »

Odds are good there's a heli-coil kit for that particular thread size, however that would require removing the oil pan, and some drilling/tapping skills.
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by SgtSlag »

The thread sealant which cannot be repositioned, will seal it until the next oil change. Once you remove it, it will need to be resealed.

Only downside I can see is that you need to let it cure before you add the fresh oil to the crankcase. For me, that would be a minor inconvenience, but I could live with it, as I am a seasonal rider, and I put low mileage on, typically riding weekends only. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
bonvoyagelaine
Current bike(s): Sniper Yamaha
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Post by bonvoyagelaine »

Since you're a seasonal rider it might work for your needs until the next oil change avoids a bigger job. Just be sure to let it fully cure as suggested before refilling. Another option could be to have a shop do the helicoil if you're not comfortable with drilling and tapping. Better to pay a mechanic than risk messing up the threads further.
4redjf
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1996 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by 4redjf »

bonvoyagelaine wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:04 am Since you're a seasonal rider it might work for your needs until the next oil change avoids a bigger job. Just be sure to let it fully cure as suggested before refilling. Another option could be to have a shop do the helicoil if you're not comfortable with drilling and tapping. Better to pay a mechanic than risk messing up the threads further.
So far so good with the Piggyback OS drain plug. Keeping fingers crossed for now, No leaks and all is working out. Appreciate the input..

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”